Raspberry Sauce

We recently picked our first raspberries!  We planted raspberry bushes last year and now we are enjoying the sweet rewards.  We love to eat them plain or tossed on cereal or yogurt.  As we continued to get more and more raspberries, I began to wonder what I could make with them.  I thought a raspberry sauce would be delicious with the beignet recipe I posted earlier.  I found a recipe on Recipezaar that looked straightforward and simple and decided to give it a try.

Ingredients
2 pints (4 cups) raspberries
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Directions  
1. Crush the raspberries with water in a saucepan. 
2. Add sugar and cornstarch. 
3. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. 
4. Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. 
5. Push through a foodmill or strainer.
Serves 6

It's exciting to us that we planted and now harvested our own berries.  Here they are.  Aren't they beautiful!
I crushed the berries with the water and added the sugar and cornstarch.  Then, I let it boil for 2 minutes.  I poured the cooled sauce into a mini-foodmill.  Since the seeds are so small a lot of them still went through the foodmill.  I was able to remove about half of the seeds from the sauce.

The Results...
We drizzled some of this sauce on beignets for breakfast.  We all agreed that it was delicious.  I thought it had just the right balance of sweetness and tartness.  Of course you can always add more sugar if you want a sweeter sauce.  It also had a good consistency (not too thick or thin).  We look forward to having more of this sauce on pancakes, waffles, ice cream, cheesecake, chicken, salads....  

Comments

  1. Yum! Now I want to go plant some. :) I have always just picked them wild and never even thought about planting my own. How many bushes did you plant? (Or how many should we plant?) Do you have to cut them back every year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We planted 2 raspberry bushes last year. Honestly, we haven't done anything except water them occasionally. We are still learning as we go. We did get quite a few berries from just two bushes, so far @ 5 cups. If we had more space I would plant 2 more. I recently found these websites: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1421.html and http://www.gardenersnet.com/fruit/rasp.htm. According to these websites they should be pruned 1-2x a year. I didn't know that. I will pruning mine soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment