Banana Ice Cream

Bananas, bananas, bananas....we always have bananas.  Some weeks they are gobbled up before a single brown spot appears.  Other weeks they sit and sit and I worry about how I can use them before they're totally rotten.  I usually make banana bread or muffins, but I really don't want to turn on the oven when it's almost 100 degrees outside.  Smoothies are a good idea, but then I came across this recipe for banana ice cream from the kitchn.  It has just one ingredient, that's right, bananas!  Just bananas?  And you don't need an ice cream maker.  You do need a blender or food processor.  Here's the step-by-step instructions from the kitchn:

*Peel your bananas first.
*Cut them into small pieces.
*Freeze for just 1-2 hours on a plate.
*Blend, blend, blend - scraping down the bowl when they stick.
*Enjoy the magic moment when they turn into ice cream!

Will my ripe bananas really turn into creamy ice cream!?  
I peeled my bananas and cut them into chunks.  Then, I put the banana chunks into a freezer bag and left them in the freezer for about 24 hours.  Here are my frozen banana chunks in the food processor.  I did blend, blend, blend.  I needed to scrape the bowl pretty often.  The blade was having a hard time turning.  I think I may have put too many chunks in at once.  I took some out and continued to blend until creamy and then added the other chunks back in the bowl and blended some more.

The Results...
The frozen bananas really did turn into ice cream!  It was smooth and creamy just like ice cream.  My kids liked this and they had no idea how healthy it is (no cream, no added sugar, just vitamin packed bananas).  This is a fun and healthy way to use up those ripe bananas on the counter.  Next time, I think I'll add some sliced strawberries on top.  I like strawberries and bananas together.  Who knew bananas could turn into ice cream?!  What a fun surprise!

Comments

  1. Wow that is amazing. Might have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were also amazed at the texture and flavor. It really is similar to ice cream. My family and I will have to experiment with this more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you save it for later, or does it only say "icecreamy" right after blending?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment