Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Stew

It's a snow day.  The kids are home from school.  Not only is it snowing, it's freezing cold AND windy.  My son and I are taking turns shoveling the driveway.  I'm not planning on going anywhere today.  I'm thinking we really need some warm, comfort food for this chilly, snowy day.  Maybe a soup or stew?  But, I need to find a recipe that I can make with what's in my cupboards.  After a little internet searching, I found this recipe on food.com.  It looks yummy and I have everything on hand!  Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Stew, you are what's for dinner tonight...

Ingredients 
1 onion, chopped
1 (16 ounce) can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
1 (16 ounce) can corn (drained)
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel)
1 packet taco seasoning 1/4 cup
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts or about 6-8 boneless, skinless thighs
Desired toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, cilantro, etc...
Directions:
Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 6 1/4 hrs
1. Mix everything together in a slow cooker except chicken.
2. Lay chicken on top and cover.
3. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
4. 30 minutes before serving, remove chicken and shred.
5. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir together.
6. Top with cheese, sour cream, or tortilla chips, if desired.

Notes: For a milder version just use one (10 oz.) can or Rotel and one large (29 oz.) can of diced tomatoes.

 
I used 3 (10 oz.) cans of diced tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel).  My chicken breasts were frozen.  I slightly defrosted them before putting them in the slow cooker. 
I mixed everything in the slow cooker and put the chicken on top.  I'm cooking this on low and it should be ready just in time for dinner.  It's all up to the slow cooker now.  My work is done, for dinner anyway.  Now, it's my turn to go shovel the driveway.  I've got to go bundle up.  I'll post results after dinner tonight...

The Results...
This cooked for 7 hours on low.  I shredded the chicken during the last 30 minutes of cooking time.  So, what did we think?  We thought this was delicious!  My husband liked it so much that he said, "make this again and don't change a thing!"  I also liked this stew, although it was at the top of my spice tolerance.  I added a little sour cream to help "cool it off."  My son didn't think it was too spicy, but my 6 yr. old also needed some sour cream in hers.  I'm pretty sure this will be too spicy for my 3 yr. old (she was asleep when dinner was ready).  I'll need to make her something else when she wakes up.  I'm thinking I could add half the Rotel and then add plain diced tomatoes if I want to make a milder version in the future.  Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Stew did hit the spot on this chilly, winter day!


This recipe is shared at:

Comments

  1. I too have been looking for a new recipe using stuff i always have. thanks, i'm trying it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was SOOOOO good! Evereyone except my 4 year old loved it. I had tortilla chips the first time I made it and we used the stew as a "dip". My 9 year old said that we found our new dip for New Years. The second time I made cornbread to go with it. Needless to say this recipe has made it into our winter recipe rotation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, I'm so glad you're family liked this recipe too! I agree, it's a great recipe for the chilly winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going in my crock pot next! I am pinning for sure....Thank you for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie,
      Thanks for the pin. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  5. Had this in the crock pot all day while I was at work & we just had it for dinner & it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for stopping by to let me know how it turned out.

      Delete

Post a Comment