Chocolate Chip Freezer Cake

I participated this month in a freezer meal exchange.  It was the first time for me.  I've experimented with freezing food before and have found with trial and error that not everything freezes well.  I didn't want to disappoint the others in the group.  So, I started searching for recipes that would freeze well.  That's when I came across this recipe, Chocolate Chip Freezer Cake.  The recipe actually suggests that you freeze this cake for two days before you eat it.  Really?  I decided to give it a try. 

Ingredients  
1 box yellow cake mix
1 small box instant chocolate pudding mix, dry
1 small box vanilla instant pudding mix, dry
4 large eggs
1 cup water
3/4 cup vegetable oil
12 -16 ounces chocolate chips (about 2 cups, we like Nestle Toll House)
Directions
 
Mix dry ingredients together.  Add wet ingredients.  Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into prepared Bundt pan (lightly greased and floured). Bake at 350° for 45-60 minutes.  (It took 60 minutes in my oven.) Cool slightly. Wrap in plastic wrap and then foil. Put in freezer for 2 days before serving. Defrost before serving. 

Adapted from food.com 


The Results...
Has anyone else ever made a cake and waited TWO days to eat it?!  This was impossible at my house.  Everyone smelled this baking and asked, "What's in the oven?"  It smelled heavenly!  I can't keep any secrets around here and when my family saw this cake, they begged me for a piece.  I didn't want to wait two days, either.  So, I cut the cake in half.    We ate one half while it was still a little warm and the chocolate chips were still gooey.  I put the other half in the freezer for two days.  Both ways were delicious!  My husband preferred it warm with the gooey chocolate chips.  The kids and I liked it more after it had been frozen.  The chocolate chips regained their firmer texture.  Can you see the chocolate chips scattered throughout the cake?  Y-U-M-M-Y!  They add just enough richness to the cake.  A glaze isn't needed.  I just sprinkled a little powder sugar on top.  I hope the others in the freezer meal exchange enjoy this, too!

Comments