Homemade Apple Chips

I've been experimenting with making homemade apples chips this week.  It started with a trip to the grocery store last weekend where I bought Gala apples for .80 cents/lb.  Since the house was stocked with apples, I started thinking of what I could do with them.  I decided apple chips would be a fun, healthy snack---crunchy, sweet and a lot less calories that potato chips!  I searched and looked over a few different recipes like this one on The Italian Dish and this one on Fix Me a Snack. There's only 1 ingredient.  The tricky part is baking them just right to get them crispy.  My first batch came out chewy.  Every oven is different and this recipe of course is based on how my oven baked.  You may need to adjust the baking time for your oven.  This is how I did it... 

Ingredients 
3 medium apples, sliced thinly using a mandoline (1.5mm)
Directions
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.  My oven has convection and I used that option.  If you don't have convection the baking will take longer.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.  Lay apple slices on parchment paper, making sure not to overlap them.  Bake for 1 hour.  Turn apple slices over and rotate pans in oven.  Bake for about 30-40 minutes more.  Apple slices will turn crispy as they cool.  Store in airtight container.  Makes about 40 chips.

*If you'd like the apple slices to stay white, soak them in lemon water (4cups ice water and 1/4 cup lemon juice) immediately after cutting.  Pat dry before baking.  The chips in the picture did NOT soak in lemon water.  I immediately placed them on the baking sheets after cutting and put them in the oven.

**If you like sweeter chips, sprinkle them with sugar or cinnamon sugar before baking.   

The Results...
These went quick!  I wish there was a way to bake more at once.  I made 5 batches this week.  Homemade Apple Chips are a crispy, sweet and healthy snack that the whole family can enjoy.

Comments