Iced Spiced Surprise Cookies

The dirty fingernails belong to my son, boys!
This recipe came together as I was going through my cupboards looking for something to make for dinner.  A bag of gingerbread mallows has been sitting in my cupboard since the holidays (they are cute with just a hint of gingerbread flavoring).  I also found a Spice cake mix ready to expire and a can of frosting.  I thought of the recipe for Surprise Cookies that I came across a while ago on MarthaStewart.com and I knew what I was going to make---for dessert at least. :)   

 Ingredients 
1 box spice cake mix
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
Gingerbread men marshmallows
Vanilla frosting
Directions 
1. Add 1/2 cup oil and two eggs to one box of cake mix and stir.

2. Drop by teaspoonfuls on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 9-10 minutes.

3. Place a marshmallow in the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly. Return to oven, and continue baking until marshmallows begin to melt, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.

4. When cool, frost tops of cookies to hide the marshmallows.

makes about 3 dozen

Inspiration from: Cake mix cookies from Duncan Hines, Surprise cookies from Martha Stewart



The Results...
The kids loved these cookies.  They are sooooo easy to make, too!  My husband didn't care for them because he doesn't like gingerbread.  That's OK, because there are all kinds of flavor combinations we could try:  strawberry cake mix/strawberry mallows, chocolate cake mix/peppermint mallows, lemon cake mix/vanilla mallows, white cake mix/cinnamon mallows, etc....  The chewy marshmallow is a fun surprise!  It's a dessert first kind of day.  Now, back to the kitchen to make dinner.


This recipe is shared at:
Mom's Test Kitchen 12 Days of Christmas Cookies

Comments

  1. What a great idea! I bet these where good. Thanks so much for linking up to the 12 Days of Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment