Crustless Spinach Quiche~Paula Deen

Summer has been busy and it isn't over yet.  The kids still have another month off....Another month!  I love having the kids home in the summer to spend more time with them.  They are a good bunch and I'm lucky to be their mom.  But, it is challenging finding activities to keep everyone busy.

My 12 yr. old has already finished cross-country camp, basketball camp and boy scout camp.  We've all gone to the zoo and the amusement park and we just got back from a family reunion.  The swimming pool and the library have been two of our favorite hang-outs this summer.

It was during one of our library trips that I found a kids cookbook by Paula Deen, Cookbook for the Lunch-Box Set.  I brought it home and set it on the kitchen counter.  My 12 yr. old starting flipping through it and offered to make Crustless Spinach Quiche for lunch.  I was surprised that he was interested in cooking something that wasn't a dessert!  I helped him gather all the things he needed and stayed nearby if he had any questions.  But, he pretty much made this recipe all by himself!   
 
Recipe Link 
Ingredients 
Cooking spray
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 cup small curd cottage cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
4 Tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups grated Colby or Cheddar 
Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray an 9 by 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

2. Defrost spinach in microwave safe container. Microwave and cook on high power for 4 minutes. Allow it to cool. Squeeze out all of the liquid out of the spinach and put it into a medium bowl.

3. Combine the eggs, sour cream, cottage cheese, Parmesan, flour, salt, and pepper, in a blender or food processor and blend until the mixture is smooth, about 1 minute. 

4. Pour the mixture into the bowl with the spinach. Add the Colby or Cheddar and stir with a spoon until well mixed. Pour the spinach mixture into the baking dish and smooth out the top.

5. Bake until set, about 40-45 minutes. Remove the baking dish from the oven. It will be puffed up, but will fall slightly as it cools. Allow it to cool. Cut it into squares and serve. Refrigerate leftovers.

Adapted slightly from Paula Deen 


The Results...
A delicious quiche and one proud Mama.  Everyone enjoyed this dish.  It was light, fluffy and the different cheeses and sour cream added a nice creamy/tangy flavor to the eggs and spinach.  My 8 yr. old said, "I know this has spinach in it, but I still like it!"  According to our 4 yr. old this is another "millions star recipe!"  Even the baby ate all her quiche.  Guess who's cooking lunch more often, at least  until school starts. :)

What activities keep your kids busy in the summertime?

I share recipes at these linky parties.

Comments

  1. I have been making quiche without crust and like it better. Will have to make this one as it looks delicious. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday. Newest follower
    marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy this quiche as much as we did and thank you for following!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness. Yum! I love quiche!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love quiche, too. Easy to make and tastes delicious! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. This looks really good! I'm going to pin this for the future! Thanks for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday! Don't forget to come back on Sunday to VOTE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to your son. It looks awesome! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm making this tonight since I have all the ingredients in the house. I have pinned a lot of recipes from your site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather,
      I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did! Thanks for the Pins. If you get a chance, let me know what you think. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment