Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti

It's week two of back to school.  Part of me likes getting back on schedule and part of me wishes I could still sleep in.  I am not a morning person.  I'm not at my best at 6am.  Occasionally, I make a hot breakfast before I send the kids off to school, but most of the time it's cereal and yogurt.  The kids don't seem to mind.  They aren't all that hungry in the morning anyway.  To make-up for my lack of cooking in the morning, I do cook a hot dinner each evening.  Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti looks like a kid friendly meal.  I hope my young food critics agree!

Recipe Link
Ingredients 
3 medium boneless chicken breasts
1 can (10 3/4 oz) Cream of Chicken Soup
1 can (10 oz) Rotel Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 tablespoon butter
1 – 8 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
8 oz spaghetti, cooked and drained 
Cooking spray
Directions
Cook and drain spaghetti, set aside. Cut up chicken into small, bite size pieces. In a large skillet melt butter. Then add the cubed chicken, minced garlic & onion powder. Cook over medium-high heat until chicken is done (no longer pink!). Stir in soup, cheese and Rotel tomatoes. Reduce heat to low, and cook until the cheese melts, stirring constantly. Stir in the spaghetti noodles and pour into a lightly greased (I used cooking spray), 2 quart (8x8) casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.


The Results...
Rich and cheesy!  We liked it.  I would serve this with plenty of veggies and/or fruits to help balance out the richness.  The Rotel gives this dish a little kick that younger kids might be sensitive to.  Our 4 yr. old thought it was spicy.  Using Mild Rotel or even a can of plain diced tomatoes would solve that problem.

After the cheese was melted and everything was heated through, I gave it a taste test before I put it in the oven.  I don't think this dish really needs to go in the oven.  It tasted pretty much the same either way.  But, while it was in the oven, I had time to get my sides ready.

This dish is a good candidate for a freezer meal.  Next time, I'd double the recipe and put a pan in the freezer for another day.  Just thaw and reheat in the oven.

Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti was mostly kid friendly (3 out of 4 kids approved).

This recipe is featured at Show and Share Wednesdays @ Semi Homemade Mom.

Semi Homemade Mom

I also share recipes at these linky parties.

Comments

  1. wow that looks tasty, could you use just regular cheddar cheese instead of velveeta? I never have that stuff on hand...I came over from LadyBehind the Curtain link up. I'm excited to see more of your creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming over! I haven't tried regular cheddar cheese. I'm worried that it won't melt as well as the velvetta and this dish may not come out as creamy. Please come back again. We're always trying something new!

      Delete
  2. That picture makes me want to dig right in! I've subbed freshly shredded cheddar for velveeta before and it's turned out just as tasty. I'd love to have you link this up at my Show & Share party: http://millerfamilyorganizer.blogspot.com/2012/09/show-share-wednesday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly,
      I've linked this recipe to your Show & Share party. Thanks for the invite!

      Delete
  3. Looks so good. Cheesy with great flavor. Love everything in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol,
      Thank you. I hope you enjoy this dish. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. Looks good and really cheesy! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday! Please come back on Sunday to VOTE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks terrific. My kids would love this. I'm pinning and look forward to making this soon. Have a terrific weekend and thanks for linking up to the Weekend Potluck!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope your family enjoys it! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  6. I am LOVING your blog! And your recipes look delicious! I can't wait to try this! I am a new follower! And I would LOVE for you to visit my blog and join my site as well! :)

    riversrecipereview.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alyssa,

      Thank you so much! I've joined your site, too. I can't wait to try some of your recipes! :)

      Delete
  7. This looks so yummy and though I have no kids at home any longer, I am sure it will be hubby approved. :) Saw your link on Mix it up Monday. Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam,

      I didn't mention that my hubby liked this too, but he did. I hope yours does too! Thanks for stopping by and please come again! Have a great week. :)

      Delete
  8. You've been featured on this week's Show & Share party. Thanks so much for linking up!

    http://www.millerfamilyorganizer.blogspot.com/2012/09/show-share-wednesday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you add the soup do you also add water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. No. Just the can of soup. Don't add any water. If you have any other questions, please let me know. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment