Green Smoothie (For Beginners)

There are A LOT of recipes out there for Green Smoothies.  I decided to try this recipe by Vitamix* because in their description it says, "a great starter recipe for those who are new to Green Smoothies."  We are definitely new since none of us have tried a Green Smoothie.

I'm not telling anyone that there's spinach in this smoothie.  Let's see if my family can guess the "secret" ingredient. :)

Recipe Link
Ingredients 
1 cup green grapes
1/2 cup pineapple chunks (I used canned)
2 cups fresh spinach, packed
1/2 ripe banana, peeled
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup ice cubes
Directions
1. Place all ingredients into your blender's container in order listed and secure lid.
2. Blend until smooth.
3. Serve immediately 
Makes about 2 glasses

Adapted slightly from vitamix.com


The Results...
I didn't say a thing about the spinach in this smoothie.  Of course when I handed them their smoothies, they asked what was in them. My reply was, "banana, grapes, pineapple (all things they like) and a secret ingredient.  Can you guess what it is?"

Everyone finished their smoothies, but no one could guess the secret ingredient.  Not even my husband.  My son guessed kiwi---wrong!  They were surprised when I told them about the spinach.  The ripe banana and pineapple were the strongest flavors.

My husband thought it was pretty good.  My teenage son didn't mind drinking it.  My oldest daughter was a little suspicious and gave this smoothie only 2 stars (out of 5).  My little 5 yr. old and toddler loved this smoothie.  My toddler drank all of her smoothie and then climbed up on the table and tried to sip any leftovers out of the cups left there. :)

This was a great way to sneak some fruits and spinach into the kids' day.  They get a tasty smoothie and I know they are getting some extra vitamins and fiber.  Win! Win!  I will make this again, especially for my two youngest who don't always eat their veggies.

*I am not being paid by Vitamix.  I don't even own a Vitamix blender.  I just thought this would be a fun recipe to try and add some more fruits and veggies into my family's day.

This recipe is shared at:
 
I share recipes at the following linky parties.

Comments

  1. YUUMMMM - I have a cup of fresh spinach in the fridge just waiting to be eaten (or drank) =)...perfect for this nutritious drink. I'll be enjoying it before the day is over. SO glad you shared at Weekend Potluck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  2. I bought a Blendtec a little over a year ago and I have 1-2 grren smoothies a day. I love them, plus I love how they make me feel. Thanks for sharing. Lynaea @ EverydayBloom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynaea,

      We'll be drinking Green Smoothies more often, too, now that I know my family likes them. I love knowing they are getting some extra nutrition. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Perfect!! All of my favorites in one glass. This sounds delicious and can't wait to try. I love the way you included the taste test from family. Thank you for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie. I hope you enjoy it, too! Have a great week. :)

      Delete
  4. Hello - Wanted to let you know I posted this recipe at my blog today...what a great treat to enjoy for St. Patty's Day! So glad you shared. http://www.thebetterbaker.blogspot.com/2013/03/delicious-green-smoothie.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following you from "The Better Baker"! =)
    This sounds like a wonderful smoothie!

    Melissa @ My recent favorite books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa,
      Thank you for coming over and following! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment