Cherry Swirled Cheesecake

I first made this Cherry Swirled Cheesecake in February 2013. Our family still loves this cheesecake. It has been requested to be a part of our Christmas dinner this year. I'm happy to oblige! I'm reposting this "oldie but goodie" in case anyone else is looking for a terrific dessert idea for the holidays. Enjoy! :)

February 14, 2013
Valentine's Day just isn't complete without a decadent treat.  Last year I made Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes for Valentine's Day.  Those little cakes are so good, especially with a scoop of ice cream!

This year I'm making Cherry Swirled Cheesecake.  My husband loves cherries and chocolate together.  I can't see why he wouldn't love a piece of this rich cheesecake swirled with a cherry sauce and baked on top of a chocolate cookie crust.  This is a perfect Valentine's Day dessert! 

This recipe is part of the Behind the Curtain Dessert Challenge.  In this challenge there are two ingredients that must be used together in a dessert each month.  This month those two ingredients were chocolate and cherries, a great combination for Valentine's Day!

Recipe Link
Ingredients 
Crust
1 1/4 cups chocolate cookie crumbs (I used ***Oreos without the cream)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
Cheesecake
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
3 large eggs
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cherry Sauce
1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling or topping
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Combine cookie crumbs, sugar and melted butter; press firmly on bottom of 9 inch springform pan.
2. In blender, puree cherry pie filling until smooth. Then, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Add eggs, lemon juice and vanilla; mix well.
3. Pour half of the batter into pan; top with 1/2 cup of cherry puree. Repeat one more layer batter and puree. With a toothpick or knife, swirl puree into cheesecake mixture.
4. Bake 50-55 minutes or until center is set.* Cool, chill completely.** Overnight in the refrigerator is best. Serve with remaining puree. Store leftovers covered in refrigerator.
Serves 12

*Every oven is different, but it took an extra 15-20 minutes in my oven for the center to set.
**Here are some great tips from ehow on how to remove your cheesecake from the springform pan.   Cool and refrigerate for 2-3 hours before removing!
***I used about half of a 14.3 oz. package of regular Oreos and scraped the middles off before crushing into crumbs.

Adapted from Allrecipes/Eagle Brand Recipes


Here's my sweet little helper crushing the Oreos. This was a great job for these little hands.
The chocolate cookie crust pressed firmly on the bottom of the springform pan.
Cherry Pie filling pureed in the blender.
Here's my sweet little helper again! I already had a bag of Meyer lemons. We used about 5 or 6 to get 1/3 cup of lemon juice.
First, a layer of cheesecake on top of the cookie crust.
Next, 1/2 cup of cherry puree
Another cheesecake layer and cherry puree. I used a toothpick to swirl the cherry puree into the cheesecake batter. Isn't it pretty!
 See the yummy layers of cheesecake and cherry puree!
The Results...
Beautiful.  Sweet.  Rich.   
What's not to love!  

We gave this recipe 4 1/2 stars (out of 5)---almost perfection.  There was just one little thing that I would change next time.  I would slightly reduce the amount of butter in the crust to 1/4 cup instead of 1/3 cup.  As it baked, the butter oozed out from the bottom of the pan and when I pulled it out of the oven, butter dripped onto the floor. (I made this a second time and 1/4 cup butter worked much better. I've adjusted the recipe.) 

It still tasted wonderful.  I haven't made a lot of cheesecakes, but this is the best tasting cheesecake that I've made!  Cherry Swirled Cheesecake is a love-ly way to end a sweet day.  
 Happy Valentine's Day! 

Take a look at all the delicious chocolate and cherry dessert recipes from the Behind the Curtain Dessert Challenge!

Lady Behind the Curtain Dessert Challenge


This recipe is featured at:
The Weekend Potluck 
Foodie Friends Friday Host favorites 
I also share recipes at these linky parties.

Comments

  1. Looks stunning and I am sure it tastes amazing as well ! Well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,
      Thank you! You're Black Forest Brownies also look delicious! :)

      Delete
  2. we both had the same idea! cheesecake is the best! it looks absolutely delish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike! Your chocolate cheesecake with cherries on top looks so yummy, too!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful dessert! I wish I had thought of cheesecake!. I am looking forward to making this very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teri,
      Thank you! Your Chocolate and Cherry Biscotti looks so pretty, too. What a great gift for a friend! Happy Valentine's Day. :)

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful! I love the cherry swirls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So purty! Love the red swirl! Loving your blog... I'm also eyeing your Butterscotch Pretzel Bars! New follower!!

    Desi
    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Desi,
      Thank you! I'm so glad you stopped by and followed! I'm going over to visit you blog. Happy Valentine's Day

      Delete
  6. Great presentation! I really need to learn how to do that swirl effect. So pretty and I'm sure it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vanessa. The swirling really isn't difficult. I just dropped spoonfuls of cherry sauce on top and ran a toothpick through it.

      Delete
  7. Such a stunning cheesecake! Your swirls are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great recipe! Cheesecake is my favorite dessert. Thanks for participating in the Dessert Challenge. Can't wait to see what you create for us next month! ~Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for organizing the Dessert Challenge! I'm looking forward to next, too!

      Delete
  9. It's gorgeous and I so love the hearts you decorated your plate with. I'm wild about cheesecake and this sounds amazing. Thanks so much for linking up at Weekend Potluck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just put the extra cherry sauce in a ziploc bag, snipped the end and piped some hearts on the plate. Easy! Have a great weekend. :)

      Delete
  10. This looks exquisite! Thanks for joining the dessert challenge.

    Sherry K-Jazzy Gourmet

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mouth started watering as soon as I saw your picture. I am pinning this for later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the pin! I hope enjoy this as much as we did!

      Delete
  12. This looks so delicious, your photo is awesome. Looks like you had an awesome assistant as well.

    Thanks so much for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday. Please stop by to vote for your favorite recipe.

    FFF co-host,
    Joanne/Winelady Cooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne. Yes, I have an awesome assistant! I'm so lucky.

      Delete
  13. This is absolutely gorgeous! Looks delicious as well. Thanks so much for linking up to the Weekend Potluck. I love to see what you bring each week!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the name of your blog! And this post...I am drooling!
    I would love it if you joined our "One last Valentine's Day Round Up"
    Linky Party and shared this!
    http://littlemomprairie.blogspot.com/p/blog-round-up.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to join the party! Thanks for the invite.

      Delete
  15. Your cheesecake looks delicious and so pretty. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks great! Pinned ;) thanks for sharing!!

    Brenda
    ChattingOverChocolate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda! I was just reading about your Mickey Mouse Munch!

      Delete
  17. Wow! This looks gorgeous and looks like it was delicious too! Came over from Semi Homemade Mom's blog hop and I'm glad I did! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for coming over! I'm so glad did, too! :)

      Delete
  18. Wow that looks divine!! definitely pinning this. Found you through semi-homemade mom's show and share link party :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leila,
      Thank you for coming over and for pinning!

      Delete
  19. Looks delicious, and I love cheesecake. Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays. The next party is live!! http://www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2013/02/tasty-thursdays-29.html

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on being featured today at Weekend Potluck! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mamamia,
    Being your newest follower! I have nominated you for the Liebster award! It's a recognition for your efforts! For more information please visit my blog -athomewithjemma.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  22. 2(8ounces) package cream cheese mean 16 ounces altogether or 8 ounces altogether? thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss Unique?

      2 (8 ounce) packages means 16 ounces altogether. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  23. Your cheesecake looks beautiful...perfect for Valentine's Day or any day! Congratulations on being featured on Daily Dish. Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment