Italian Sausage and Brown Rice Soup

If you haven't noticed, I cook A LOT.  I have a family of 6 to feed.  Luckily, I enjoy being in the kitchen (at least most of the time) and I like knowing that my family is eating nutritious, homemade food. 

When I started this recipe blog almost 3 years ago (I can't believe it's been that long!) my main goal was (and still is) to be more adventurous, but still use ingredients that aren't difficult to find at my local grocery stores.  It seemed like we were making the same meals over and over: pizza, tacos, spaghetti, chicken.  I was worried that trying new recipes would mean the kids wouldn't eat their dinner.  But, dinner was getting boring and I decided trying one new recipe each week shouldn't be too bad and we'd eventually find more dishes that everyone liked.  Expanding our dinner options, I hoped.  We have found quite a few family favorite recipes, almost 100!

As I look for new recipes, sometimes I come across recipes that I'm not sure about.  This was one of those recipes.  It's different from our usual soup recipes and I wasn't sure if we'd like the cooked chopped cabbage in it.  I decided to make it anyway because sometimes you just have to give a recipe a chance and be more adventurous!

Recipe Link
Ingredients 
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 pound Hot Italian sausage links
1 onion (large, chopped)
1 cup celery ( 3 celery ribs, chopped)
4 cups cabbage (chopped green cabbage)
1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
3 cans (14.5 oz.) chicken broth
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1-2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
About 3 cups cooked Brown rice
Directions
1. Heat a bit of olive oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Remove sausage from it's casings; add to pot and cook through. Remove cooked sausage to a plate or large bowl. Drain any drippings from the pot.
2. Put a little more olive oil in the same pot. Over medium heat, stir in chopped onion, celery and cabbage. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 8-10 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and chicken broth to the pot. Bring to a boil and immediately lower the heat. Stir in Italian seasoning and bay leaf. Simmer, partially covered for 30 minutes.
4. Stir in sausage and black pepper; simmer for about 5 minutes to heat through.
5. Put a scoop (about 1/2 cup) of brown rice in your bowl and ladle hot soup over it.
Serves 6

Inspired by The Kitchen is My Playground
I changed the original recipe because I didn't have white beans. I substituted brown rice and I used Hot Italian sausage, not sweet. 


The Results...
Surprisingly very good!  My husband and I really liked this soup.  He asked me to put the recipe here on our blog, so I wouldn't lose it. :)  He wants me to make it again.  It turned out much more flavorful than I expected and the sausage gave it a nice little kick.  The spice in this soup comes from the sausage.  We used Hot Italian sausage, but it wasn't really that hot.

I didn't get the same reaction from the kids.  They didn't really like this soup.  My two oldest finished their bowls of soup, but not the two little ones.  My 5 year old had just woken up from a nap and was very cranky---didn't want to eat a thing.  Our little toddler threw her bowl of soup.  Yeah, that's just how dinnertime goes sometimes.

My husband told the kids that they didn't like this soup because they have to be mature---like him---to appreciate this soup.  If you know my husband, you're probably smiling, too. :)

This recipe is shared at:

I share recipes at these linky parties.

Comments

  1. This looks so good! I'm going to make it, for sure! My husband is a big Italian sausage fan and this looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Theresa! I hope you and your husband like this recipe, too!

      Delete
  2. You have a really great blog! (Visiting from Weekend Potluck's party.) This soup you made looks delicious, and I like your change to the hot sausage! Something like this is perfect with cornbread on a cold winter's night. :)
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie,
      Thank you! You are so kind. I'm so glad you stopped by! Have a great weekend. :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing with us at FFF this week. I chose this recipe as my "host favorite" so this recipe and your blog link will be featured Monday on our magazine Daily Dish.!!
    Dawn host and blogger
    http://spatulasonparade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for linking up with us this week at FFF link party. I chose this recipe as my "host favorite" so the picture and link to your blog will be featured on our magazine on Monday at Daily Dish.!! Also I pinned it to my FFF link party board and my own 'want to try" board :)
    Dawn host and blogger
    http://spatulasonparade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn,

      Thank you so much for choosing this recipe as your host favorite! I look forward to seeing it Monday at the Daily Dish! Have a great weekend. :)

      Delete
    2. http://spatulasonparade.blogspot.com/2013/03/italian-sausage-soup-with-brown-rice.html
      Here is my version of your soup. We loved it. and I posted a link back to you.

      Delete
    3. Hi Dawn,
      Thank you for letting me know how yours turned out. It looks delicious! I'm so glad you loved it!

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a soup that would be a big hit in my house. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way the soup is so thick. Almost like a stew. I know my family would love this. Thank you for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one is definitely going in my soup rotation. I can't wait to try this. YUM!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so delicious! I found your link up next to mine at the Adventures of a DIY Mom party. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming over! I also like your cute Easter projects. My kids would have fun making your Lemonade Bottle Bunny.

      Delete
  9. Oh I love chunky soups! This one looks and sounds so perfectly fitting for me!
    Thank you for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza - see you there again tonight with more of your deliciousness :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most of my family liked it. I've been trying to find recipes that include cabbage, because it's so inexpensive. Not all of my family likes cabbage, so it's kind of hard to find recipes with cabbage they all will like. My 9 year old, and 4 year old were the only ones who didn't care for it (the 9 year old is picky anyways, and doesn't like meat much). But I count it as a win, because we have 9 in our family (the baby was sleeping, but he likes most anything if I feed it to him, lol). Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad most of your family enjoyed this soup. Wow, 9 in your family! We have 6 and I know it's hard to please everyone. Thanks for stopping by and letting me know how yours turned out. Please come again!

      Delete
  11. This looks so good!

    I would love for you to link up at the Empty Your Archive party which has favourite rice recipes as one of it's themes this week - Alice @ Mums Make Lists x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment