Nacho Pizzas


This is Na--cho ordinary pizza.  (Sorry I couldn't resist.)  I made Nacho Pizzas twice last week because my family just loved them!  They are basically nachos, but in pizza form.

I found this recipe while I was searching for heart healthy recipes.  Nacho Pizza doesn't sound healthy, but it's full of good stuff for you like veggies and beans.  The crust is a corn tortilla that is brushed lightly with olive oil and baked until crispy in the oven. 

Easy, delicious, healthy and kids love it!  What more could you want?

Recipe Link
Ingredients 
4 (6 inch) corn tortillas*
4 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped OR a sweet pepper seeded and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced ( I use a garlic press)
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup chopped seeded tomato
4 ounces or 1 cup shredded cheese---cheddar, monterey jack, mozzarella (I used a shredded Mexican blend) whatever you like
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
---You could also add some cooked, seasoned chicken or ground beef if you like.
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place tortillas on an ungreased baking sheet. Lightly brush tortillas on both sides with 1 teaspoon of the oil. Bake about 3 minutes on each side until lightly browned and crisp.

2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook onion, pepper and garlic in the remaining 3 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until onion is tender. Stir in black beans and tomato; heat through.

3. Sprinkle tortillas with half of the cheese. Spoon bean mixture over cheese. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake about 4 minutes or until cheese melts. Sprinkle with cilantro. 
Makes 4 servings.

*If you prefer, substitute purchased tostada shells for the corn tortillas. Reduce oil amount to 3 teaspoons and omit step 1.

Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens


1 teaspoon of olive oil was just enough to lightly brush each side of the corn tortillas. They baked up nice and crispy.
We love cheese!
I divided the mixture evenly between the corn tortillas. There were plenty of veggies and beans for each one.
More cheese!
My husband and I love cilantro, but the kids don't. I didn't sprinkle any on theirs. More for us!
The Results...
You already know that we loved eating these little Nacho Pizzas.  They are fun to make, too.  My 8 yr. old daughter helped me put these together.  She brushed the tortillas with oil, sprinkled cheese and scooped on the toppings.  I like it when the kids can help me in the kitchen! 

My only problem was that I didn't make enough.  There are 6 of us, so I doubled the recipe and made 8 pizzas, but those were gobbled right up!  The second time I made these I tripled the recipe and made 12 pizzas.  That was just the right amount for us.

This is a great vegetarian meal as is, but my family suggested we try them next time with some meat.  Cooked, seasoned chicken or ground beef would taste great on top, too.  You could also garnish these little pizzas with your favorite nacho toppings like sour cream, salsa, guacamole, etc...

Have fun and Enjoy!

I share recipes at these linky parties.

Comments

  1. Oh YUM!! My in-laws are vegetarians and have been for more than 30 years. They serve these every single Thanksgiving (yep, that's Thanksgiving at the in-laws) but they call them Chalupas. I have always loved them but never paid attention to how they were made - pinning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of chalupas, but didn't really know what they were. I didn't realize these are like chalupas. I guess no matter what you call them, they are still yummy. What a fun and healthy Thanksgiving tradition. Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Oh This looks soo good! We are big mexican food eaters here at our home! I found you on Show and Share Wednesday's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chandra,
      We love Mexican, too. I'm so glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  3. Wow - these look great! I love Mexican anything! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nachos? Good! Pizza? Good! Together? BRILLIANT! I can't wait to make these for my guys. If you haven't already, I'd love if you'd come join my How To Tuesday link party, too.

    http://housewifehowtos.com/link-party-2/how-to-tuesday-link-party-10/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie,
      Thank you for the invite! I'll be right over.

      Delete
  5. O, boy...this is one I am going to make, for sure. Sounds and looks fabulous.
    Over from Rattlebridge....
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi bj,
      Thanks for coming over. I hope you like these as much as we do!

      Delete
  6. Hello, I’d love to have you come share your post at Show and Tell Saturday #6 at Sassy Little Lady!

    http://www.sassylittlelady.com/blog/show-and-tell-saturday/show-and-tell-saturday-6

    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathie,
      Thank you for the invite! I just joined the party!

      Delete
  7. What a great idea! Looks delicious. Thank you for linking up on Foodie Friends Friday! Please come back this week to join us again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious! Thank you for linking up on Foodie Friends Friday! Please come back this week to join us again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am seriously craving Mexican food now. Your nacho pizzas look incredible. I especially loved how you dressed up the black beans. Thanks for sharing on Thursdays Treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great idea. I think I would stick to the veggie version of this one myself because the hubby needs more veggies :) Thanks for posting this!
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimberly,
      This is a tasty way to get the husband to eat more veggies. My husband approved. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Newest follower here! I found you through the six sisters' stuff blog hop :) You have a super cute blog, I can't wait to read more. You can find me at meandmr.com

    -Melanie @meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie,
      Thank you so much for following! I'm so glad you found our blog. I just visited your blog. You have some good looking recipes!

      Delete
  12. I am totally going to try your technique for a crispy corn tortilla! So smart! Thanks for stopping by the other day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon,
      I liked this technique, too. Uses a lot less oil. Ovens vary, sometimes the shells need a little more than 3 min. on each side to get crispy. Thanks for coming over to visit!

      Delete
  13. Looks delicious! Love the concept. Thank you for sharing with Foodie Friends Friday. I am sharing this on my Walking on Sunshine page today as our Recipe Pick of the Day! Please come back and VOTE on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to be Recipe Pick of the Day! Thank you!

      Delete
  14. I love this recipe idea! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment