Creamy Crock Pot Chicken and Rice

Once the older kids get home from school around 4pm, it gets even busier around here with homework and activities.  So, having dinner already planned and cooking in the crock pot is wonderful!  I already had everything on hand for Creamy Crock Pot Chicken and Rice, so I figured this recipe was worth a try. 

Recipe Link
Ingredients 
2-4 frozen chicken breasts (depends on size)
1 (10 oz.) can of condensed cream of chicken soup
1 (0.7 oz) pkg. of dried Italian salad dressing mix
1 (8oz) pkg. cream cheese
1 (10 oz) can Rotel (tomatoes with green chilis) or just diced tomatoes or Italian seasoned diced tomatoes
milk as needed to thin sauce (or water or chicken broth)
About 3 cups cooked rice
Chopped green onions, if desired
Directions
1. Stir together cream of chicken soup and Italian salad dressing in crock pot.
2. Put frozen chicken on top.
3. Let cook on high for 4-6 hours or until chicken is cooked and fall-apart tender. Reduce heat to low.
4. Stir and break-up chicken into bite sized pieces. Put cream cheese on top and pour in Rotel. Let the cream cheese soften in the crock pot for about 30 minutes.
5. After 30 minutes, the cream cheese will be nice and soft. Stir everything together. Add some milk, water or chicken broth to thin the sauce to your desired consistency. 
6. Add about 1/2 cup cooked rice to a serving dish and ladle on the creamy chicken sauce. Sprinkle on chopped green onions.
Makes about 6 servings

Adapted from Stick A Fork In It  


Just mix the soup and salad dressing together in the crock pot.
Lay the frozen chicken on top. My chicken was in a FoodSaver bag. That's why it's smooshed together and had the lines on it.
After the chicken has cooked, just lay the cream cheese on top in the middle. No need to soften first, it will soften inside the crock pot after about 30 minutes. Don't forget to pour in the Rotel or diced tomatoes, too!
The sauce was a bit too thick, so I stirred in some milk until I got the consistency that I wanted for pouring over rice. That's it. Dinner is ready!
The Results...
Easy and tasty, too.  My husband and I gave this 3 to 3 1/2 stars (out of 5).  We liked it.  I was surprised that my son gave this 4 1/2 stars!  He really liked this dish.  My little girls thought it was a bit spicy.  I would suggest adding just plain diced tomatoes if you have little ones that might be sensitive to the green chilies in the Rotel or I would also try using a can of Italian seasoned diced tomatoes.  I'm glad I gave Creamy Crock Pot Chicken and Rice a try!

I share recipes at these linky parties.
This recipe is share at the Weekend Potluck.

Comments

  1. Oh this looks so tasty! I love cream cheese in anything, but especially when it makes a creamy sauce for a main dish. We love rotel too - pinning to make soon! Thanks so much for sharing at Weekend Potluck (but would appreciate your adding the link back directly to your post=) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added a link back. Sorry, I usually have a direct link or a link to a page with all the parties listed where I share recipes. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  2. Looks delicous! Thanks for sharing this at my Pin Me Linky Party. I hope you come visit & link again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my crock pot and this looks so good! Pinning to try later :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin,
      Thanks for the pin! I hope you enjoy this when you get a chance to make it. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment