Easy Mandarin Chicken

I rarely cook Chinese food because I haven't had good experiences with cooking it in the past.  Also, my husband is especially picky when it comes to Chinese food, so we usually go out when we want Chinese.  But, this recipe for Easy Mandarin Chicken really does look very easy.  I've decided to conquer my fear of cooking Chinese food and give it a try! 

Recipe Link
Ingredients 
1-1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/3 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 tsp. soy sauce
1/3 cup vinegar (I used rice vinegar)
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons ketchup
1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions
1. Whisk together sauce ingredients: pineapple juice, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, ketchup and salt. Set aside near stovetop until needed.
2. Cut chicken into bite size pieces. Beat eggs in a shallow bowl with a fork; set aside. Pour cornstarch into a shallow bowl and roll chicken in it. When coated, dip chicken in beaten eggs.
3. Heat just enough oil to cover the bottom of a non-stick skillet on medium-high heat. Place coated chicken pieces into the pan and heat until brown.
4. Pour sauce made earlier onto the browned chicken. Simmer chicken with the lid covering only half of the pan to let the heat escape.
5. Simmer 20-30 minutes, stirring often, until sauce thickens. Serve with rice and ENJOY!

Notes: I cooked half the chicken pieces in my 12 inch pan until brown, removed them and set aside in a bowl. I added the other half of the chicken pieces and cooked them until brown. Then, I put the first batch of chicken back into the pan with the second batch of chicken pieces. (I did this because I didn't want to overcrowd the pan while browning the chicken). I added the sauce and continued with the rest of the recipe.

Adapted from Yummy.Healthy.Easy

The Results...
Easy and everyone loved it, including my husband!  The chicken turned out very tender and the sauce was delicious---sweet, but not too sweet.  My 8 yr. old asked me to make this again the next day!  I'm excited to finally add a Chinese recipe to our family favorites list.  Don't be afraid.  Give it a try! :)


I share recipes at these linky parties.

Comments

  1. This looks delicious. Its definately going on my 'To Make' list. Thank you for sharing
    Phoebe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phoebe,
      Thank you and I hope you enjoy this dish as much as my family and I did!

      Delete
  2. Sounds good but I think adding a bit of garlic powder and dry ginger would perk it up. Might even want a few red pepper flakes and/or dry mustard for some zip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE mandarin chicken! YUM! I can't wait to try it! Thanks for submitting to foodie friends friday. Zannie @ mymixingspoon.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks delicious and so simple..pinned to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Chinese food, and this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dish looks delicious! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe with Foodie Friends Friday. Hope you will join us again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made your recipe tonight and it was a huge it! Thank you for sharing! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy it was a huge hit! Thank you for stopping by and letting me know.

      Delete
  8. Can I use white vinegar? Its all I have lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White vinegar is more acidic than rice vinegar. Rice vinegar is more mild and sweet than white vinegar. So, you could try to dilute the white vinegar with water (maybe 3 parts vinegar to 1 part water) and add a little sugar (maybe 1 tsp.) to sweeten it and see how that turns out. I haven't tried this myself. I'm just guessing, but if you decide to give this a try, I'd love to hear how it turns out. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. I just made this again last night. After making it again, I would say don't add more sugar. There's already enough in the sauce. White vinegar should be fine. You could dilute it slightly with water if you want. Hope that helps.

      Delete

Post a Comment