Veggie and Cheese Biscuits

We've almost finished our first week of school and I am tired!  I'm glad we have a long weekend coming up.

This is the first year that I am driving 3 kiddos to 3 different school buildings.  I'm happy that the kids get to stay at their schools even though we have moved 20 minutes away into a rental house while our new home is being built.  I'm not as happy about becoming a full-time chauffeur and waking up at 5:45am.  Oh, and did I mention that our rental house only has 1 bathroom for all 6 of us to get ready in the morning!  Crazy, I know.  But, it's only temporary until our home is finished sometime next year. 

I've been trying to plan ahead as much as possible for meals since we are very busy right now.  My son joined the cross country team this year and by the time I have picked everyone up from school and practice, it's already dinner time when we get home.

So, I need some quick and healthy recipes like these Veggie and Cheese Biscuits.  These biscuits can be made ahead of time and simply reheated when needed.  I made 3 batches last week and stored some in the refrigerator and freezer.  They reheat well in the microwave and make a great snack or side dish.  My mom made these when I was a kid and I have always liked them. 

Recipe Link
Ingredients 
1 (12 oz) can Pillsbury Grands Jr. buttermilk biscuits (make sure you get the Junior size)
2 cups chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
5 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
1 large tomato (or 2 smaller tomatoes), diced
1/4 cup minced green onion or sweet onion
1 1/2 Tablespoons melted butter
Salt to taste
Cooking spray for muffin pan
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray muffin pan with cooking spray. Roll out biscuits into 4 inch circles. Press into muffin pan. Set aside.

In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Mix well. Spoon equal amounts into each biscuit. Bake until golden brown, about 12-13 minutes. Remove biscuits from pan and let cool slightly. Makes 10 filled biscuits.

Store extras in refrigerator and reheat in microwave for about 30 seconds. I've also stored these in the freezer and reheated them in the microwave for about 2 minutes at 80% percent power. (Each microwave is different, so you may need to adjust the times to what works with your microwave.)

Source: Mom


First, I washed and diced the veggies. I steamed the broccoli before I chopped it.
Next, I rolled out my biscuits and put them inside the muffin pan.
Then, I mixed up the rest of the ingredients and........
started filling the biscuits inside the muffin pan.
There should be just the right amount of filling for 10 biscuits. Keep Packing and filling all the cups until you're out of the veggie/cheese filling. (I wish the cans of biscuit dough contained 12 biscuits, instead of only 10, oh well.)
Ready to eat!
The Results... 
Delicious!  My husband doesn't like canned biscuits (he prefers homemade), but he still likes these Veggie and Cheese Biscuits.  I like how easily they reheat in the microwave.  I can warm a couple up for a quick lunch in the afternoon.  The kids were split on these.  My son liked them, but my daughters didn't care for them, but they are not big fans of broccoli or onions.

This is a recipe you can "play" with and change the veggies if you like.  Just soften/cook any veggies that are crunchy like broccoli before adding them to the mix.

I'd like to know what quick and healthy recipes you make!  Share them here or over at our facebook page.  Thanks!

I share recipes when I can at these linky parties.

Comments

  1. I like recipes you can play with. Since I don't have little ones to cook for, I might try adding a few herbs and spices to the veggies and maybe using some parmesan cheese instead. I bet these would work well as a snack at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa,

      I like your ideas for this recipe. Let me know how your biscuits turn out. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Oh WOW, this recipe looks delicious for me but my DIL would love it too with her three little girls. I remember well having three kids in three different schools. I thought I would never recover but I did. Now I spend most of my time helping out those three kidlets with their children when I can, I now have seven grands. This looks to be a wonderful recipe that I am anxious to try.

    Carolyn/A Southerner's Notebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Southerncook,
      Its good to know that you survived all that driving. :) Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope you enjoy these biscuits as much as we do. Have a great weekend. :)

      Delete
  3. These look delicious with all the cheese and vegetables! They would be such a great addition to a big brunch table or a party! They sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria! These would be wonderful for a brunch or party.

      Delete
  4. These look delicious and I know the kids would love them too! Thanks for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look fantastic! Thanks for sharing at my Pin Me party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea!! Am looking for healthier foods and this fits the bill!! I might try adding some egg to it for a breakfast item!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy,
      Thanks for stopping by! Let me know how your egg version turns out. Have a great weekend!

      Delete

Post a Comment