Whoopie Pie Cake

I've never made whoopie pies.  Mostly because I don't like the idea of baking and frosting a lot of little pies.  So, when I found this idea over at Cookies and Cups to make just one ginormous whoopie pie, I thought 'I can do that.'

Recipe Link
Ingredients 
1 box of chocolate cake mix, prepared per package directions + 1 egg
Cocoa powder for dusting the cake pans
1 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups marshmallow creme
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 (9 inch) round cake pans and dust with cocoa powder, set aside.
2. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, but add an extra egg to the mix.
3. Split batter evenly between the 2 cake pans and bake for approximately 25 minutes or when top of cake springs back or toothpick comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool completely.
4. In stand mixer, beat butter and marshmallow creme together until smooth. Turn mixer to low and slowly add powdered sugar. Turn mixer back up and continue to mix until smooth, about another minute.
5. Spread the filling on top of one of the cakes. Top the filling with the other cake.
6. In small saucepan, bring heavy cream to almost a boil. Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate chips until smooth. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and then pour on top of cake.

Notes: Spray the measuring cup with cooking spray before adding the marshmallow creme. It will slide right out instead of sticking.

Adapted from Cookies and Cups

 
My regular cake pans are in storage, but these aluminum ones worked just fine. I buttered them really well before I dusted with cocoa powder.
Cooling off
Buttery, marshmallow creme filling mmmmmmmmmmm!
Here's all that marshmallow Buttercream on top of the first cake.
When the other cake gets put on top of the filling, it looks like a huge Whoopie Pie! BUT, we are not done. There's still the chocolate ganache to pour on top.
Here's your slice. Enjoy!
The Results...
I loved how simple this cake is to make.  My husband LOVED how it tasted and gave Whoopie Pie Cake a full 5 stars! 

The kiddos told me it was too sweet.....WHAT?!  They also told me that I gave them too much cake.  REALLY?!  I thought to myself, 'who are these kids and where are the ones that ask for dessert after we eat waffles or beg for cookies at 8am?'  cRaZy!  They still told me that they liked this cake and gave it 4 stars, though.

I share recipes at these linky parties.

Comments

  1. I am going to make it this week-end. I luv whoopie pies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, this cake looks amazing!!! What a great idea to transform whoopie pies into a cake!!! Sounds absolutely delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria! It is absolutely delicious. :)

      Delete
  3. I love this idea! The marshmallow creme filling looks delish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dru! The marshmallow creme filling is delish. It would be great inside cupcakes, too.

      Delete
  4. Being from New Hampshire, whoopie pies are a New England tradition. This cake version looks delicious. The finishing touch of the ganache makes it a must try for me.
    Thanks for the inspiration,
    Suzanne
    Pieced Pastimes
    PS-Would love to have you link this up to Saturday Sparks. Links are open till Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne,

      Thanks for the invite! I'm sorry I missed it this week. I will try to join next week. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  5. I totally saw this on pinterest! What a fun & delicious cake! Thanks for sharing at Sweet & Savory Saturdays #27!

    ~Amber @ DessertNowDinnerLater.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment