Applesauce Muffins

It's week two of back to school.  Everyone knows their schedules and we are starting to adjust with just a few bumps here and there.

My kindergartener tried to convince me that she was sick this morning and needed to stay home.  I was surprised because she likes kindergarten.  I think it was a case of morning tiredness and adjusting to going to school everyday!  My 4th grader forgot her homework at school yesterday and my 8th grader is so busy that between school, a cross country meet and Boy Scouts, I won't see him much today.  I'm just hoping that he doesn't have a lot of homework tonight, too! 

My little buddy and I are also adjusting to having the house to ourselves during the day.  It's not totally quiet, but it is quiet-er.  Sometimes it's actually too quiet.  For example, I was in the kitchen making these Applesauce Muffins and it was so quiet that I could hear the dog licking the floor in the living room.  When there's a toddler in the house, that is TOO quiet!  I went to the living room to find that my sweet (and mischievous) toddler had completely emptied a large bottle of popcorn seasoning (the kind with artificial colors and flavorings) ALL OVER the carpeted floor! UGH!!!  

Recipe Link
Ingredients 
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups applesauce
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup golden raisins
cinnamon-sugar, optional
Directions
In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Stir in applesauce. Combine the flour, baking soda and spice; stir into creamed mixture. Fold in raisins.

Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Sprinkle or dip muffin tops with cinnamon-sugar if desired.
Makes 2 dozen

Adapted from Taste of Home


Creamy butter and sugar!
There goes the applesauce
The dry ingredients
Folding in the golden raisins
Filling the muffin cups 3/4 full
I suggest that you don't skip the cinnamon-sugar on top. :)
The Results...
I had everything I needed to make Applesauce Muffins already sitting in my cupboards or in the refrigerator.  I liked that I didn't have to run to the grocery store.  I decided to make these muffins for an after-school snack and the kiddos gobbled these up in the car on the way home.  There were still enough muffins for breakfast the next morning, too.  I liked that this recipe makes 2 dozen muffins.  If that's more than you need, just put the extras in the freezer and pull them out when you do need them.

Applesauce Muffins were dense and cakey with a hint of spice and sweet golden raisins hidden inside.  We liked them and gave them 3 1/2 stars (out of 5). 

Are you wondering what happened to the carpet?  My husband came home while I was out picking up the kiddos from school.  He tried using baking soda and vacuuming up the popcorn seasoning.  It helped slightly.  He suggested we dye the rest of the carpet yellow, too. :)  I don't like yellow carpet, so I got out the carpet cleaner and scrubbed (and scrubbed) until the carpet was beige again.

Comments

  1. These muffins look perfect! I can only imagine how wonderful they taste. I found your blog through Foodie Friends Friday.

    Stop by soon I'm hosting a fun giveaway! Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious!! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday linky party!
    Jenny
    www.inthekitchenwithjenny.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment