Fresh Apple Dump Cake

I have an easy and delicious fall recipe for you today, Fresh Apple Dump Cake.  It's perfect for apple season.  This recipe starts with your favorite fresh apples and if you've made a Dump Cake before, then you know how easy this will be! 

Recipe Link
Ingredients 
8-10 apples, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
juice of 1 lemon
2 heaping teaspoons cornstarch
1 Tablespoon butter
1 cake mix, dry (I used Duncan Hines Butter Golden cake mix)
1 stick butter (1/2 cup), melted
2 Tablespoons cinnamon sugar
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Peel, core and chop your apples. Place chopped apples into a 9x13 baking dish. Mix in sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Cook apples for 20 minutes. Apples will shrink and release juice.
2. Push apples back with large spoon and drain the juice from the baking dish (you could save the juice to make an *apple glaze if you like). Stir cornstarch and 1 Tablespoon of butter into cooked apples. Level out apples in pan.
3. Dump cake mix over top of the apples. Spread it out evenly. 
4. Drizzle melted butter on top of the dry cake mix.
5. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top and bake for about 35 minutes. Let cool and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.

Notes: *If you would like to make an apple glaze, simply mix powdered sugar into reserved apple juice until you get the right consistency. I didn't make the glaze because I thought this dessert was already sweet enough.

Also, original recipe says to butter the baking dish before adding the chopped apples. I forgot, but I had no problem with anything sticking to the baking dish.

Adapted from Nisahomey.com


I LOVE fresh apples!
See the specks of cinnamon mixed into the apples with the sugar and lemon juice, yum!
Here's the juice that I drained after the apples had cooked (save it if you'd like to make a glaze). Don't forget to stir in the cornstarch and tablespoon of butter AFTER you drain the apples.
This is what makes this a Dump Cake! I dumped the cake mix right on top of the cooked apples.
So easy!
Drizzle the melted butter right on top of the cake mix.
Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top and it's ready for the oven.
It's delicious both warm and cold and with ice cream or whipped cream. Enjoy!
The Results...
5 stars!  Not only was Fresh Apple Dump Cake easy to make, it was also delicious and my whole family loved it!  Plus, it will make your home smell wonderful as it bakes.  Enjoy :)

You might also like these recipes:
Peach Dump Cake
The Great Pumpkin Dessert

I share recipes at these link parties.

Comments

  1. Oooh, this looks so good! I've never made a dump cake, but I've also never seen a recipe for an apple dump cake before. I think my husband and his selective palate would appreciate this. :) Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire,
      I hope you and your husband both like this as much as my family did! Thank you so much for stopping by and for the pin!

      Delete
  2. This looks so good....love that topping!! Thank you for stopping by and for the link :) have a lovely day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your recipe! It's so delicious!

      Delete
  3. Great looking dump cake your pictures are excellent. Thanks for sharing this with us on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious and I love how easy it is to make! Thanks for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are my favorite kind of recipes. Throw it in the pan & bake! Thanks for sharing at Sweet & Savory Saturdays #30.

    ~Amber @ DessertNowDinnerLater.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amber! Gotta love an easy and delicious dessert. :)

      Delete
  6. What kind of apples did you use? Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy,
      I used mostly Gala apples (one of my favorite kinds). I also used one large Granny Smith apple that I mixed in with the Gala apples. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I've never made a dump cake before but all the apples are calling me now begging me to try this! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adelina,

      I think you'll like how easy it is to make a dump cake. If I were an apple, I would beg you to make this too. :) Enjoy!

      Delete
  8. What an awesome recipe! Why haven't I thought to do this??? I LOVE anything apple....and this would be perfect when I have lots of apples that need to be eaten. Thanks so much for sharing at Weekend Potluck. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marsha,

      Thank you for stopping by and for pinning! Have a wonderful weekend :)

      Delete
  9. THAT LOOKS AND SOUNDS AWESOME,ONE QUESTION HOW DO I MAKE APPLE GLAZE WITH THE JUICE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To make the apple glaze, simply add powdered sugar to the juice that you drain from the cooked apples. The amount depends on how much juice you have. Start with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and stir until you get the consistency you want. Add more powdered sugar if needed

      Delete
  10. And a way to make this real super easy is to take a large can (or 2 regular sized cans) of apple pie filling, toss them in the bottom of your baking dish, pour the dry cake mix on top and drizzle melted butter over top and pop it in the oven. Some of us don't have access to or the patience to peel and chop apples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using canned apple pie filling would be quicker and easier, but nothing beats fresh apples. One of the things I like about this recipe is that you basically make your our own apple filling in the baking dish before adding the cake mix on top. I think its worth the eztra effort. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  11. Looks so good. You are one of the features today at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on over and grab a feature button for your blog. Here is the link to this week's party. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2013/09/make-it-pretty-monday-week-68.html Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathryn. Thank you so much for the feature! I'll be popping over to the party today, too. Have a great week! :)

      Delete
  12. Just saw your post at The Dedicated House. This looks and sounds amazing, easy. too!
    I'm definitely giving this a try.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patti,
      Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope you enjoy this as much as my family did! Have a great weekend. :)

      Delete
  13. Looks awesome (and easy!) Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday linky party!
    Jenny
    www.inthekitchenwithjenny.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Would it be o.k. to not drain the juice from the apples? I'm thinking the cake mix would absorb the juice and create a moister dessert?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never made this without draining the apples. If you give it a try, please stop by again and let me know how yours turns out. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. I made this today and did not drain the juice. It was amazing! Thank you!

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much for stopping by to let me know! I'm so glad it turned out!

      Delete
  15. I made this for Thanksgiving and it was by far better than any apple pie I've ever had. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry. I'm so happy you liked this recipe! Thank you for stopping by and letting me know.

      Delete
  16. I made this for Thanksgiving and it was TO DIE. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks absoloutly delicious cant wait to try thankyou:))))))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi naz khan. I hope you enjoy this cake as much as my family did! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Post a Comment