1-2-3 Bars

Cookie exchanges, bake sales, potlucks, classroom treats, picnics, birthdays.......I've made 1-2-3 Bars for all of these reasons and more!  These bars are delicious, no-bake and easy as 1-2-3!

This is a tried and true family favorite recipe.  I have made these bars so many times over the years that I have this recipe memorized.  I don't even have to pull it out anymore.  I have been asked for this recipe many times, too.  I made these bars for my oldest daughter to share at school for her birthday and her teacher sent a note home asking for this recipe.  I've made and given these bars away as neighbor gifts and I've had my neighbors ask me for this recipe.  I've made these bars for potlucks and picnics and have given this recipe to many friends.  You know you have a great recipe when others take the time to ask for it!

I was first introduced to these yummy treats by my husband's family.  My husband and I met in college and after dating for a whole 3 1/2 months, we got engaged!  I flew to his family's home over Christmas break to meet everyone.  From this visit I found out that my husband came from a wonderful family and  also that my mother-in-law (to be) was a wonderful cook!  She has shared lots of delicious recipes with me over the years, including this one for 1-2-3 Bars. 

Recipe Link
Ingredients
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
6 cups Special K cereal
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
Directions
1. In a large bowl measure out Special K cereal, set aside. Mix corn syrup and sugar together in saucepan. Heat mixture until sugar is melted and no crystals remain. (I like to bring it just barely to a boil). 

2. Remove saucepan from heat and stir peanut butter into sugar mixture until smooth. Pour mixture over cereal and mix well until cereal is well coated. Pour into a buttered 9x13 inch pan. Press mixture evenly in pan (I use my hands--butter them first to keep it from sticking).

3. Mix together chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. Melt slowly in a double boiler or microwave safe bowl stirring until well blended and creamy. If using microwave, be sure to use 1/2 power setting and stir every 30 seconds AFTER first 2 minutes of heating. Be careful not to overheat. Spread melted chips over top of cereal mixture. Cool. Cut into bars when chocolate topping is set. 

It's as easy as 1-2-3!

Source: mother in law


Pouring the sugar/peanut butter mixture onto the Special K cereal.
Spreading the melted chocolate and butterscotch chips on top.
For a bake sale, I decorated the bars with candy. Push the candy into the chocolate layer right after you spread it (before it sets up).
The Results...
A chewy, sweet, peanutty bottom layer with a smooth chocolate and butterscotch flavored top.  If you love the combination of chocolate and peanut butter, then you're gonna love 1-2-3 bars!  I like the extra flavor the butterscotch chips add to the chocolate layer on top.  There's a reason these have been a family favorite for so many years.  Actually there are two reasons, 1-2-3 Bars are so easy and so delicious!

 I share recipes at these link parties.

Comments

  1. I am WILD! about this yummy recipe...have been making it for years, but never thought to decorate the top with seasonal toppings. VERY smart! How wonderful your MIL began teaching you 'tricks' in the kitchen right away. =) Thanks for sharing at Weekend Potluck. We'd love it if you'd link to the party within your post. Please come back soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marsha,
      Thank you so much for stopping by! Sorry I forgot the link. I've added it. Have a great weekend. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment