CrockPot Chili Cheese Chicken Tator Tot Casserole

Crock Pot Chili Cheese Chicken Tator Tot Casserole (try saying that 5 times fast!) was what the kiddos and I had for dinner yesterday.  My husband had a business trip, so I wanted to make something fun for the kids.  I've never made a tator tot casserole and I've been wanting to try this recipe for Cheesy Chicken Tator Tot Casserole from The Country Cook.  I decided to make a few changes like adding some chili seasoning.  I like chili cheese fries and thought maybe I could bring those flavors to this tator tot casserole.  I hope my version will be "kid approved!"

Recipe Link
Ingredients
1 (32 oz.) bag frozen tator tots (I used a 38 oz. bag---20% more free!)
9 slices of cooked bacon, crispy and crumbled
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
2 Tablespoons chili seasoning mix
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (we like sharp cheddar)
3/4 cup milk (I used 1% milk)
cooking spray
Directions
1. Spray crock pot with nonstick cooking spray. Lay half of the frozen tater tots on the bottom of the crock pot. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the crumbled bacon. Now top with 1/3 of the shredded cheese.
2. Add diced chicken on top. Sprinkle the chili seasoning on top of chicken. Add another 1/3 of crumbled bacon and top with another 1/3 of shredded cheese.
3. Put the rest of the frozen tater tots on top. Finish with remaining 1/3 of shredded cheese and 1/3 of crumbled bacon.
4. Pour 3/4 cup milk all over the top. Cover and cook on low about 4-6 hours.

Notes: Newer crock pots cook hotter than older crock pots. So, if using a newer crock pot, check at 4 hours. Older crock pots may take longer. My crock pot is older (11 yrs. old) and it took a little over 5 hours to cook. ***You want to make sure the chicken is cooked thoroughly to 165 degrees F.

Adapted from The Country Cook


Start with spraying the crock pot. You'll be happy you did this first when it comes time to clean-up!
Half of the frozen tator tots 
1/3 of the shredded cheese and 1/3 crumbled bacon 
Add the diced chicken and sprinkle the chili seasoning on top 
This is the chili seasoning I used. I didn't use the whole package, just 2 Tablespoons. I think that was about the right amount.
Another 1/3 shredded cheese and 1/3 crumbled bacon
The rest of the frozen tator tots
The remaining shredded cheese and crumbled bacon. It's a messy job!
Pour the milk on top
It took a little over 5 hours in my crock pot to cook the chicken thoroughly. It's ready to eat!
The Results...
Did the kids approve?  Yes, they did!  My 5 yr. old was the biggest fan of this casserole (and she's a tough critic!).  My 2 yr. old also liked this casserole.  My teenager and 9 yr. old gave this recipe 3 1/2 stars (out of 5).  I thought this was a tasty tator tot casserole, too.  I liked the extra flavor from the chili seasoning and the chicken helped turn this into a meal.  I am glad we also had a salad to balance out the richness of the melted cheese, bacon and tator tots.

This casserole isn't just for kids.  This is easy to make and yummy fall comfort food.  Since it cooks in the crock pot, you can easily take this along to your fall parties.  Doesn't every party need some bacon, cheese and tator tots. :)  Enjoy!


I share recipes at these link parties.

Comments