Almond Pound Cake & Fresh Strawberry Sauce

Happy Anniversary to us! My husband and I celebrated our 18th wedding anniversary this weekend. I wanted to make something special for us. I knew that my hubby has been craving something with fresh strawberries, but he isn't a fan of traditional strawberry shortcake. He doesn't like the biscuit-like texture of short cake, but he does like pound cake. I decided to try Almond Pound Cake. The recipe was right on the box of almond paste that I already had in the cupboard.

I didn't even know what almond paste was until a few years ago when I was part of a dessert challenge. I was challenged to make a dessert with almond paste and pastry dough. I made Free-form Pear Tarts with Almond and Cinnamon. You can see the recipe here. Since then, I keep a tube or can of almond paste in the cupboard to have on hand for baking. If you've never heard of it like me, almond paste is basically ground almonds and sugar combined together with either egg whites or a liquid sugar syrup. You can find it in the baking aisle. There are also recipes to make your own, just google it. :)

Recipe Link 
Almond Pound Cake
Ingredients 
1 (7 oz.) box or can of Almond Paste*, grated
1 cup granulated sugar
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, room temperature
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x5 loaf pan.
2. Beat grated almond paste, butter and sugar on medium speed with and electric mixer until well mixed.
3. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Beat on high until light and fluffy.
4. Sift the flour and baking powder together and add alternately with the milk. (Add half the flour, milk and remaining flour). Beat on low until just combined and smooth. Do not over mix, or cake will be tough.
5. Pour Batter into pan. Bake about 75-80 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Cool cake, still in pan, on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and finish cooling on rack before cutting. After completely cooled, wrap in plastic wrap. The cake will last 3 days at room temp or 1 week in the refrigerator.

Notes: *You can find almond paste in tubes, boxes or cans usually in the baking aisle.
Adapted from box of Odense Almond Paste

Fresh Strawberry Sauce
Ingredients
1 pint Fresh Strawberries
granulated sugar to taste (around 1/3 cup)
Directions
Smash berries with potato masher or something similar. Add sugar to taste and stir. Spoon over each slice of pound cake and serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream or both, if desired.Store extra sauce in refrigerator.


First, I grated the almond paste.
I added the butter and sugar and mixed it well.
Here comes the eggs, one a time.
I beat the mixture on high until light and fluffy.
I sifted the flour and baking powder together before adding to the batter with the milk.
The pound cake batter is ready for the oven.
Out of the oven, golden and delicious!
The sauce is super simple, just mash the fresh strawberries and sweeten with sugar to taste.
Soft, buttery, sweet with a delicate almond taste. YUM!
The Results...
Almond Pound Cake turns out rich and buttery like you would expect from a pound cake. This pound cake also has a delicate almond taste that pairs perfectly with the fresh strawberry sauce. I highly recommend adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream, too! My hubby really enjoyed it! So did the kiddos. This dessert was given a solid 4 out of 5 stars. I'm pretty sure I will be making this again soon, since strawberry season is just around the corner!

You might also like:

Comments