Nutella Cocoa Krispies Treats

Yesterday was my turn to celebrate my birthday. My hubby and I met for a birthday lunch, since the evening was going to be busy with the kids' activities. When I got home from lunch, my littlest one had fallen asleep. She took a long 2 hour nap, which is unusual for her. I considered it a birthday gift :). The house was so quiet. I started to think about my birthday treat. I had a hard time deciding what kind of treat I wanted. We usually have ice cream sundaes for my birthday, but I was craving something crispy, chewy and chocolatey. I didn't feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen or making a big mess. I finally came up with these Nutella Cocoa Krispies Treats and they hit the spot! 
 
Recipe Link
Ingredients
6 cups Cocoa Krispies
1 10 oz. package marshmallows (about 40) or 4 cups mini marshmallows
3 Tablespoons butter
1 cup Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread)
-Topping-
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup Nutella
1 Tablespoon shortening
Directions
1. Measure out 6 cups of Cocoa Krispies, set aside. Grease a 9x13 inch pan, set aside.
2. Microwave butter in a large (microwaveable) bowl for 45 sec. or until melted. Add marshmallows, toss to coat. Microwave 1 minute 30 secs. or until marshmallows are completely melted and mixture is well blended, stir halfway through at 45 sec. After mixture is well blended, stir in Nutella and mix well.
3. Add cereal immediately; mix well. Press into greased 9x13 inch pan.
4. Make topping---Heat chocolate chips, Nutella and shortening in medium saucepan over medium to medium-low heat until smooth. Stir together while heating up. Spread over top of rice krispy treats.
5. Add sprinkles, if desired and let cool completely. Put in fridge to help the topping set up quicker.
Makes about 12 servings

Notes: Butter hands or spray with cooking spray before pressing the rice krispy mixture in pan. This keeps it from sticking to your hands and makes it easier to press into the pan.
A plastic serrated knife is my favorite tool for cutting Rice Krispies treats.

Adapted from Chef in Training 


Get ready to work quickly once you add the Nutella into the marshmallow mixture! It starts to thicken as soon as the Nutella gets stirred in.
This is when I butter or spray my hands to make it easier to press everything into the prepared pan.
These treats are really tasty already, but if you want them even richer you can make the topping. It's just Nutella, chocolate chips and a little shortening. It melts together pretty quickly. Keep stirring while it heats up.
So much chocolatey goodness!
Because this was a birthday treat, I added sprinkles on half of the pan. There are a few sprinkle haters here, so I left off the sprinkles on the other half.
All done! Crispy, chewy, rich, chocolatey and fun!
The Results...
I didn't hear any complaints. The bottom is crispy and chewy while the top is rich, creamy and chocolatey. If you like Nutella and Cocoa Krispies, then I'm pretty sure you're going to like these treats. They are super rich, so make sure you have a glass of milk to go with them. The kiddos wanted to eat these for breakfast this morning. Yes, they have cereal inside, but I insisted they eat a healthy, less sugary breakfast. I did sneak these into their lunch boxes. It'll be a nice surprise and there are less here at home tempting me. :)

Another birthday has been successfully celebrated. Two more birthdays this month. Next week is my oldest daughter's birthday. She has requested that I make the following 1-2-3 Bars to share with her class at school. They do have peanut butter in them, so I checked with her teacher to make sure it's OK for her classroom. They are so good and have been a family favorite forever!

You Might Also like...

Comments