Olive Garden Breadsticks (Copycat)

Me, "Where do you want to go?" Hubby, "I don't know. Where do you want to go?" Me again, "I don't know. Where do you want to go?"

Does this sound familiar? If we can't decide where to go out to eat, we usually end up at Olive Garden. One of the best parts of dining at Olive Garden is the all you can eat salad and breadsticks. I thought I'd try baking their breadsticks at home. Will they be just as tasty and disappear just as quickly?

Recipe Link
Ingredients
1 cup + 2 Tablespoons warm water (110-115 degrees F.)
1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
3 to 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
3 Tablespoons butter, softened
TOPPING:
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together warm water, yeast and 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar until yeast has dissolved. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.

2. Add in remaining 1 Tablespoon + 2 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar, 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 3/4 teaspoons salt and butter. Then, fit mixer with paddle attachment and blend mixture until well combined. Switch mixer to dough hook attachment, add in remaining 1 1/2 cups flour and knead mixture on low speed, adding up to 1/4 cup additional flour as needed, and knead dough until smooth and elastic (dough should pull away from sides of the bowl but should still be slightly sticky). Transfer dough to a large buttered mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest in a warm place free from draft until double, about 1 1/2 hours.

3. Punch risen dough down, divide into 14 equal portions (2 ounces by weight), keep them covered with plastic wrap as you work. Roll each piece into a 9 inch rope on a lightly floured surface, then transfer to two parchment lined or buttered cookie sheets. Cover and let rise 1 hour. Preheat oven to 425 during the last 10 minutes of rising.

4. Bake in preheated oven on middle rack for 10-13 minutes until golden.

5. In a small bowl whisk together kosher salt and garlic powder. Remove bread sticks from oven and run a stick of butter over hot bread sticks and immediately sprinkle with the salt mixture. Serve warm or allow to cool and store in an airtight container.

Slightly adapted from Cooking Classy

After proofing the yeast, I used the paddle attachment to mix the ingredients until well combined.
I switched to the dough hook attachment, added the rest of the flour and got this good looking dough. I didn't need to add any extra flour. I just used 3 cups total.
I used the bread proof setting on my oven and the dough rose nicely after 1 1/2 hours.
You don't have to be this exact, but since my scale was handy, I measured out each bread stick to about 2 ozs.
Before....
After one hour. Ready for the oven!
Yum!
The Results...
These breadsticks quickly disappeared! I pulled them out of the oven just before the kiddos got home from school. I realized they weren't going to last until dinner after I saw the kids' faces when they smelled the freshly baked breadsticks as they walked through the front door. They saw the pot of homemade marinara sitting on the kitchen counter, too, because after they dropped their backpacks on the floor and kicked off their shoes, it was straight to the kitchen (as usual) to find a snack.

They begged and pleaded with me! So, these breadsticks ended up being an after school snack/early appetizer. I did save (hide) a few for my hubby to have when he got home. The only thing I would change for next time is to double the recipe. I also highly recommend dipping these into this Homemade Slow Cooker Marinara Sauce.

You Might Also Like:

Comments