Decadent Chocolate Bar Bundt Cake

I'm excited to finally share this chocolate cake with you! It's not just any ol' chocolate cake. This cake has 7 chocolate bars baked inside, plus lots of chocolate syrup! It's truly decadent, rich and worthy of a special occasion like a birthday.

I made this cake last May for my husband's 40th birthday. I have the hardest time trying to decide what to make him each year. I want it to be special and I want him to LOVE it or at least really, really like it. He LOVES chocolate. Once while we were dating he made us brownie sundaes with brownies, of course, and chocolate ice cream and lots of hot fudge. I though it was way, WAY too much chocolate! That's when I realized I was in love with a chocoholic. :)

So, when I came across this recipe for a chocolate cake with lots of chocolate bars and chocolate syrup I thought perhaps this is what I should make him. I still couldn't make up my mind, but I kept coming across this recipe. It's a classic recipe from Hershey's Kitchens that has been around for many years and I kept finding different variations here and there around the web. Since I kept "bumping" into this recipe, I figured it was a sign that this was indeed the cake I needed to make.

Recipe Link
Ingredients
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
7 (1.55 oz.) milk chocolate candy bars
1 (16 oz.) can Hershey's chocolate syrup (2 cups)
1 cup pecans, chopped
Directions
1. Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan. Arrange oven rack, so cake will bake in middle of oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Beat butter in large bowl until creamy. Add granulated sugar and beat until well blended with butter.
3. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk, mixing well after each addition.
5. Melt chocolate bars in chocolate syrup in a double boiler. Stir them together well. Add to batter.
6. Stir in pecans and pour into prepared pan. Bake for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Check after 1 hour for doneness with a toothpick. When wooden toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, it's done!
7. Cool 10 minutes, then remove from pan to wire rack to cool completely. Sift powdered sugar over the top, if desired.
Makes 12-14 servings

Notes: This cake is super rich and delicious! No frosting is needed. It's like a rich brownie and we like it best served with vanilla ice cream or at least a nice big glass of cold milk. Enjoy!
We stored extra cake in the refrigerator and really liked it cold, too. If it's too much cake, I would imagine this would also store well in the freezer, too.

Adapted from Hershey's Kitchens and About Food


I don't have a double boiler, so I used a metal bowl on top of a pot of boiling water. It worked just fine.
I was a little worried watching the cake bake in the oven. The batter never ran over the pan, just really puffed up as it baked.

The Results...
Decadent Chocolate Bar Bundt Cake is like one huge, round, rich, chocolatey brownie. It's super rich and if you're a chocoholic, you will be in heaven. I thought it needed some vanilla ice cream or at least a big glass of cold milk to go with all of this chocolatey-ness!

This cake has my husband's approval and I think any chocoholic will also LOVE it!
 

Comments