Browned Butter Banana Bread Brownies

It seems like either we don't have enough bananas or we have too many.  My little 1 yr. old has been eating a banana every morning recently.  So, I bought a big bunch of bananas on my last shopping trip.  Then, she decided she didn't want a banana every morning anymore.  So, we had too many bananas!  And they seem to ripen even quicker in the summer. 

I had forgotten about those poor bananas sitting in the kitchen until I came across this recipe for Browned Butter Banana Bread Brownies.  I figured it was meant to be since I had all the ingredients on hand and the bananas were ripe and ready to be used.

Recipe Link
Brownie Ingredients
1 1/2 C sugar
1 C light sour cream
1/4 C butter, browned on the stove*
3-4 ripe ripe bananas, mashed
2 tsp vanilla
2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt 
Directions 
In a small sauce pan, melt butter over medium high heat, watch carefully when it reaches a medium brown color turn off heat, let cool slightly. Preheat oven to 375 degrees, spray with cooking spray a 10×15 pan (jelly roll pan). Beat together first 3 ingredients, mix well. Add mashed bananas and vanilla, mix well. Add 1 cup flour at a time, then add baking soda, and salt, mix just until incorporated. Bake 15-20 minutes or until springs back with a light touch and golden brown. 5 minutes before the brownies are done make the frosting.

Browned Butter Frosting Ingredients 
1/2 C butter, browned on stove*
4 C powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 Tbsp milk
Directions 
In a small sauce pan melt butter over medium high heat, watch carefully when it reaches a medium brown color turn off heat, whisk in 1 C powdered sugar at a time, adding milk as it thickens, then add in vanilla. Pour onto hot from the oven brownies and spread evenly. Cool and serve.


*If you've never made browned butter (I hadn't) here are some helpful instructions from Simply Recipes.  I suggest you read this first.  Otherwise, you might make burned butter on your first try (I did!).


The Results...
This was a delicious way to use up those ripe bananas that my 1 yr. old refused to eat.  She didn't refuse eating these yummy banana brownies!  No one refused eating these banana brownies.  I really liked the extra flavor from the browned butter.  It went very well with the bananas.

Not only does browned butter add extra flavor, it saves calories.  A great tip from What's Cooking with Ruthie is: If butter is browned you can use half the amount and still get the same flavor.
A-W-E-S-O-M-E! 

Just one little thing, I wouldn't exactly call these brownies.  When I think of brownies, I think of dense, chewy bars.  This reminded me more of a Texas sheet cake, but banana flavored.  I know, I'm being nitpicky.  It doesn't matter what you want to call these.  They are simply delicious!

Here are more yummy banana recipes worth trying:
Banana ice cream
Not Your Ordinary Banana Bread
Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding

I share recipes at these linky parties.

Comments

  1. Browned Butter Banana Bread Brownies, wow try saying that 3 times fast! LOL! They sure look good. I would love to try them. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a tongue twister! I hope you give them a try. They sure were yummy! :)

      Delete
  2. I always have way too many bananas on my cupboards too! This sounds like an awesome way to use up some of the brown ones:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I'm always looking for ways to use up those ripe bananas. :)

      Delete
  3. Now those sound interesting and look yummy. Thanks for linking to our Foodie Friends Friday link party. Dawn from @Spatulas On Parade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn. Definitely something different, but we sure liked them!

      Delete
  4. It looks and sounds incredible
    I especially like the browned butter topping - yummy!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Winnie. The topping is very sweet and rich. Wish I still had some!

      Delete
  5. Oh my lands! You had me at Browned Butter! I can almost taste these yummy treats. So glad you shared at Weekend Potluck. Thanks...please come again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first time I've used brown butter. It was so tasty! Thanks for stopping by. Have a great week. :)

      Delete
  6. Great recipe!! I have so many bananas shoved in the freezer and am ready to make something other than bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I was excited to make something other than bread with my old bananans. :)

      Delete
  7. Browned butter...how creative!
    Thanks for sharing on Southern Sundays.
    Come back soon!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. No eggs? I'm surprised and happy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! No eggs! I'm guessing the mashed bananas and baking soda do they job in this recipe for binding and leavening instead of eggs. Enjoy! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment