Almond-Topped Fish

This morning I was thinking of what to make for dinner tonight.  We have a couple of cod fillets in our freezer that need to be used.  So, I started searching for cod recipes.  I found Almond-Topped Fish on allrecipes.com.  Overall, it has great reviews and I like that it is baked not fried.  I also have most of the ingredients on hand which is nice.  Almond-Topped Fish is what's for dinner tonight....

 Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
1 small onion, thinly sliced
4 (6 ounce) fillets fresh or frozen cod or haddock, thawed
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
Directions
Place butter in a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish; place in a 400 degrees F oven until melted. Spread butter over bottom of dish; cover with onion. Arrange fish over onion; sprinkle with salt, dill and pepper. Combine the Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, parsley and lemon juice; spread over fish. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees F for 18-20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Sprinkle with almonds.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving (1 fillet) equals 223 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 716 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 33 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.

Here's what I used.  I used Tony Chachere's for the seasoning salt and Hellmann's Canola Oil Mayonnaise instead of fat-free mayonnaise.  Canola oil mayonnaise is healthier than regular mayonnaise and in my opinion tastes much better than fat-free mayonnaise.  It is cholesterol free, has 1/2 the fat of regular mayonnaise and is rich in Omega 3 ALA.  I switched over a while ago and my husband didn't even notice.  I know I sound like a commercial, but this stuff is good. :)  Also, I used Fisher Natural sliced almonds and toasted them in a 350 degree oven for about 6-7 minutes.
It's ready!  I was in a hurry to get this done for dinner.  I simply followed the recipe: melted the butter in the oven, covered the butter with the thinly sliced onion, put the fish on top, sprinkled it with seasoned salt, dill weed and pepper, spread the mayonnaise mixture on top of the fish and baked it for 20 minutes.  Finally, I sprinkled the sliced almonds on top when the fish was done baking.

The Results...
Now that I've tried this recipe I can see why it has great reviews.  This was really good!  The mix of flavors in this dish was wonderful.  The buttery onions, the mild cod, the fresh lemony mayonnaise and the toasted almond slices all tasted so delicious together.  I don't have many fish recipes that I cook often.  It's great to have this recipe to add some variety to our meals.  Since cod is a mild fish it's a great "starter" fish for kids.  My kids really liked this fish, except for the nuts on top.  They didn't care for the crunch.  Next time I won't sprinkle almonds over the whole dish.  This fish recipe is a keeper!

Comments