Chocolate Phyllo Cups

I have been home all day.  My 5 year old is not feeling well and I'm not feeling very well, either.  While we were resting and watching some television I came across this recipe on the Foodnetwork.  I was watching Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee.  The whole episode was about light and healthy desserts.  I love desserts.  If they can be light and healthy that's even better!

Ingredients
3 cups nonfat milk
1 (1.4-ounce) packet sugar-free, fat-free chocolate instant pudding
3 sheets phyllo dough
Nonstick cooking spray
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon sugar
8 teaspoons whipped topping
Cocoa powder, for garnish
Directions
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the milk and chocolate pudding mix. Use hand mixer to mix ingredients.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Unroll phyllo dough and remove sheets. Working with 1 sheet at a time, lay out and spray phyllo sheet with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon-sugar. Lay next sheet on top and repeat steps. With a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut dough into 8 rectangles, approximately 4 by 5 inches. Fit rectangles into muffin cups and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
Remove phyllo cups from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Remove cups from pan and cool completely. Spoon or pipe mocha pudding into cups and top with a 1 tablespoon dollop of whipped topping. Sprinkle with cocoa powder.  Cook's Note: Keep phyllo dough covered when not using, as it dries out quickly.

I still have leftover phyllo dough from my baklava debacle and I thought this would be a fun way to use it up.  If I have enough energy after dinner I will give this a try....

The next day....
I was totally wiped out after dinner, dishes and putting the kids to bed last night.  Today, I am feeling slightly better and got a chance to try this recipe.

Here's the phyllo cup ingredients.  I already made the chocolate pudding and put it in the refrigerator to set-up.

I layered the 3 sheets of phyllo with the cooking spray and cinnamon sugar.  I cut the sheets into 8 pieces and put them in the muffin tin to form little cups.

I set the timer for 8 minutes after I put the phyllo cups in the oven.  I noticed they were already starting to brown at 4 minutes.  I took them out after 6 minutes.  Two of the phyllo cups at the edge of the pan slightly burned.  I was left with 6 cups to use.  Next time I will set the timer for 4 minutes and watch them closely.  I found that 8 minutes was much too long in my oven.


The Results...
These little phyllo cups were very easy to make and very cute.  They made serving pudding and whipped cream a lot fancier!  I just spooned the pudding into the cups, spooned a dollop of whip cream on top and sprinkled it with a little cocoa powder.  Easy, easy, easy!

I would make these again.  Especially if I have extra phyllo dough that needs to be used.  Other things like fruit salad or ice cream could be served in these cups, too. 

Comments