Strawberries and Ice Cream with Balsamic Vinegar Reduction

I've had balsamic vinegar reductions in restaurants and they add so much flavor to salads, chicken, fish, meat, even desserts.  Balsamic reductions are also delicious with strawberries this time of year.  I would like to make my own reduction and see how it turns out.  This recipe is from wholefoodmarkets.com and it combines strawberries and a balsamic reduction with ice cream, yum!

Ingredients 
1 cup aged balsamic vinegar
1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
1 pint vanilla ice cream

Method 
Heat the vinegar into a small saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat until thick, syrupy and reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 15 minutes. Watch carefully to make sure vinegar doesn't burn. Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, toss strawberries with orange juice and set aside.

When vinegar has cooled to room temperature, scoop ice cream into dishes, top with strawberries and drizzle with balsamic vinegar reduction.

Nutrition 
Per serving (about 7oz/195g-wt.): 170 calories (50 from fat), 6g total fat, 3.5g saturated fat, 25mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 26g total carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 23g sugar), 2g protein

I measured out 1 cup of balsamic vinegar and let it simmer for 15 minutes.  I watched it carefully to make sure it didn't burn.  After 15 minutes it reduced down to 1/3 cup.  While it was cooking the kids were anxiously waiting.  I told them I was making a sauce to go on ice cream.  My oldest was a bit worried because as it cooked the kitchen smelled like strong vinegar.  (Next time I should turn on the fan.)  He didn't want anything to ruin his ice cream!
I also had a bottle of raspberry wine vinegar.  I was curious if it would also make a nice reduction.  I measured out 1 cup and let it simmer for 15 minutes, too.  It didn't work like the balsamic reduction.  The raspberry wine vinegar reduced down much more to just a few tablespoons and it had a harsher, more acidic taste to it.  So, I learned it doesn't work for a reduction, but it's still quite tasty in a vinaigrette.

The Results...
When the vinegar cooled I put this dessert together in bowls.  I forgot to toss the strawberries with the orange juice.  I did cut the strawberries in half and put them on top of the ice cream with a drizzle of the balsamic reduction.  I was hoping the kids would like this.  They usually have chocolate syrup on their ice cream, not balsamic vinegar!  Would they think their ice cream was ruined?  After they tasted this, they told me that they really liked it!  I had no complaints.  The balsamic reduction complemented the strawberries.  I think it enhanced their flavor.  The balsamic reduction was also a nice contrast against the sweet ice cream.  It was slightly tart and tangy.  Now we have a new favorite sauce for strawberries and ice cream.

Comments