Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake

Instead of making traditional pumpkin pie this year for Thanksgiving, I'm gonna try this recipe for pumpkin cheesecake.  Half my family likes pumpkin pie and the other half doesn't, but we all love cheesecake.  Does that mean the whole family will like pumpkin cheesecake?  

Ingredients (recipe from allrecipes.com)
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pinch ground cloves
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1/2 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Blend in eggs one at a time. Remove 1 cup of batter and spread into bottom of crust; set aside.
Add pumpkin, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg to the remaining batter and stir gently until well blended. Carefully spread over the batter in the crust.
Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until center is almost set. Allow to cool, then refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight. Cover with whipped topping before serving.

 I made my graham cracker crust by following a recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook.  If you don't have this cookbook you can also find the recipe online at http://www.bhg.com/recipe/desserts/graham-cracker-crust/.
Here's the first layer.
Instead of using separate spices, I just used 3/4 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice for the pumpkin flavored layer.  I poured the pumpkin layer on top of the first layer and put the cheesecake in the oven to bake.

The Results...
Did everyone like this pumpkin cheesecake?  Almost everyone did.  My husband and I thought it was very good.  This was my little girls' favorite dessert.  We also had apple and cherry pie, but their favorite was this pumpkin cheesecake.  My son was the only one that didn't like this cheesecake, but he told me he doesn't like ANYTHING with pumpkin in it.  He won't eat pumpkin bread, pumpkin bars, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin pie and now he can add pumpkin cheesecake to his list.  If you do like pumpkin and cheesecake than I think you'll really like Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake.  It was rich and creamy like you'd expect and the pumpkin layer was very mild compared to eating pumpkin pie.  Although my son would disagree, the rest of us thought this was a great holiday recipe and we would definitely eat it again.

Comments