Custard Filling

It was also my son's birthday this week.  He didn't want a cake.  He asked for Maple Glazed Doughnuts, but he also wanted a custard filling.  I've never made custard before.  After searching for custard recipes, I decided to adapt this recipe for our birthday doughnuts. 

Ingredients 
1/2 c. sugar
3 tbsp. cornstarch
2 c. evaporated milk
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
Directions
In sauce pan, whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Add slightly beaten egg yolks.  Turn heat on to medium - low and stir constantly. Boil 1 minute. Remove. Stir in vanilla. Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cool.

To fill doughnuts: Place custard in a pastry bag with a large tip.  Poke tip into doughnut and squeeze in the custard.

Adapted from Cooks.com

The Results...
During my recipe search, I read many suggestions that you go to your local bakery and ask to buy some custard filling from them.  Usually, the bakeries don't make their own custard.  They also buy it.  But, I don't really like the taste of that kind of custard.  It tastes artificial to me.  I wanted custard that was fresh and made from simple ingredients.  Everyone really liked this custard in their doughnuts.  My son thought these doughnuts were AMAZING!  Of course any of these leftover custard filled doughnuts would need to be refrigerated.  That is, IF you have any leftovers.  Enjoy!   

Comments