Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Alfredo


Christmas is just 3 days away!  This time of year is exciting, busy and just plain crazy at times.  I still have a lot to do before the big day comes.  I'm a little behind and today the kids came home early from school to start their holiday vacation.  Plus, my son has a basketball game tonight.  But, with everything going on I'm not stressed about dinner.  Why?  It's already cooking in the crock pot...     
 
Ingredients 
8 (4 oz.) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (mine were still frozen)
1/2 cup water
2 (0.7 ounce) packages dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
1/2 tsp. garlic powder or 2 cloves fresh garlic
2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese, softened (substitute low-fat if you like)
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
1 (8 oz.) package fresh sliced baby bella mushrooms, rinsed
1 lb. package of angel hair pasta
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (optional)
Directions
1. Place frozen chicken breasts in a large crock pot (6 qt.). Combine Italian dressing mix, and water in a small bowl. Pour over chicken; sprinkle with garlic, cover, and cook on high for 4 hours.
2. After 4 hours, whisk softened cream cheese and cream of chicken soup together in a bowl. Pour over chicken; stir in mushrooms. Cover and cook on Low for 1 additional hour.
3. Cook pasta according to directions on box.
4. To serve, spoon chicken and sauce over hot cooked pasta and sprinkle with basil, if desired.
Serves 8-10. We get two meals out of this recipe for our family. Cook once, eat twice! 

Adapted from Allrecipes.com

The Results...
The biggest fan of this recipe was my 4 yr. old.  She gave this a solid 5 stars and cleaned her plate (which is unusual for her).  My two older kids both gave this 3 stars.  I thought this was good, but I didn't like the fresh parsley on top.  I think basil would taste better.  My husband and I gave this recipe 3 1/2 to 4 stars.  Dinner tonight was easy and tasty.  Plus, since I doubled the original recipe, I have leftovers for another busy night!

***Update (April 2015)...
We have made Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Alfredo many times over the past few years. It's so easy to throw together and it comes out creamy and tasty. It makes enough for two meals. It's so nice to cook once and eat twice! The sauce reheats nicely. You can add some milk if it needs to be thinned out a little.

This is a great dish to bring to someone who isn't feeling well or just had a baby. You could take it over with a garden salad or veggie, some fresh fruit and some Italian bread to balance the meal out. I would ask if the family likes mushrooms, if not just leave them out. I made this for a friend and she and her husband liked it so much that they asked for this recipe. It's still a family favorite and now I'm adding it to our Tried and True recipes. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Hi! I just found your blog through the Weekend Potluck and I've been checking out your recipes. They look awesome but I'm seeing a theme in your "results" section that when you cook your chicken in the crockpot you're finding it a bit bland. This makes sense because chicken breasts are dryer cuts of meat and pretty dense so it takes a bit of time for them to take on flavors. The trick I've learned is to season my chicken breasts with a "generic" seasoning mix prior to freezing them and it makes a world of difference in my finished product. I usually just sprinkle with a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic powder. Paula Deen's "House Seasoning" (recipe here: http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/house_seasoning/) is my go to mix - but I'm usually a little heavy on the garlic powder - lol. I hope you try it - you'll be amazed! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming over and taking time to read through our recipes. Your explanation for our bland crockpot chicken makes a lot of sense. I never thought to add seasoning to the chicken before freezing! Thank you so much for sharing your tip. I will definitely give this a try!

      Delete

Post a Comment