Lasagna Rolls (Chicken or Beef)


I ordered Lasagna Rolls at Olive Garden a while ago and they were delicious!  I wanted to make them at home for my family.  I thought the kids might like their lasagna rolled up for a change.  I googled "lasagna rolls" and found that there are a gazillion recipes out there.  I looked over quite a few and decided to mesh them together into my own.  

Ingredients
6 lasagna noodles
1 lb. cooked chicken (white meat preferred)
OR 1 lb. cooked ground beef (seasoned with freshly ground pepper and salt)
1 (15 oz.) ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesean
1 egg
1/2 Tablespoon McCormick Italian Seasoning
Your favorite spaghetti sauce (2 cups)
1 cup shredded mozzerella/provolone mix
Directions
Prepare lasagna noodles, drain and place on a greased (sprayed) cookie sheet, cool. Mix cheeses, egg and Italian seasoning. Pour 1 cup of sauce in baking dish.
To Assemble: On 1 lasagna noodle spread 1/6th of cheese mixture over noodle, place a few pieces of chicken or beef and roll up. Place seam side down in sauce. Continue with remaining noodles. Pour remaining sauce on top and sprinkle with mozzerella/provolone mix. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

recipe inspirations: Cooks.com, Taste of Home, Betty Crocker

I doubled this recipe and made 6 chicken and 6 beef rolls.  I like that this is a basic recipe that can easily be changed.  My husband suggested I try Italian sausage next time.  I would also like to try these with spinach inside.   

The Results...
Did everyone like their lasagna rolled-up?  Yes!  Our family liked both the chicken and beef lasagna rolls, but we preferred the chicken ones.  Everyone told me this was a 4 star (out of 5) recipe, except for my little 4 yr. old.  She said it's a 10 out of 5 stars recipe!  Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture after these baked.  Just imagine these rolls steamy hot with melted cheese oozing on top, yum!  Now there are a gazillion and one Lasagna Roll recipes. :)

Here's a few ideas I picked up from looking at all those recipes:

*If you're into freezer meals, this is a good option.  You could freeze these individually and pull out as many rolls as you need. (chattymichelle.blogspot.com)

* You can also make lasagna rolls in the microwave. (Kraft recipes)

*There are many different filling ideas.....spinach (Taste of Home), prosciutto (Foodnetwork), turkey (Allrecipes), pork, Italian sausage, tofu (Eating Well), mushrooms (Foodnetwork), short ribs (Foodnetwork), so many possibilities!

*You could also make these with a cream sauce instead of a tomato sauce. (Allrecipes)

This recipe is shared at Mom's Test Meal Mondays @ Mom's Test Kitchen

Comments

  1. cannelloni style :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made some lasagna rolls for dinner the other night!! But I did spinach alfredo ones! They are definitely a good meal & so much easier than putting together a whole lasagna!! Thanks for sharing this at Mom's Test Meal Mondays!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment