Buttercream and Chocolate Buttercream Icing


Who doesn't love a yummy cupcake?  I recently attended my daughter's preschool graduation and afterwards there was a party with cupcakes.  A friend of mine told me I had to try them because the icing was amazing!  So, I did and she was right.  Those cupcakes had light, fluffy, fabulous icing.  She got the recipe and passed it along to me.  I was already planning on making cupcakes and icing for a cupcake bar the following week at church.  So, this recipe came just in time.

Ingredients 
1/2 cup Crisco
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter 
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar
Milk as needed (approximately 2-3 Tablespoons)
Directions 
Add 2 teaspoons vanilla into mixing bowl. Mix softened butter and Crisco.  Then, add powdered sugar slowly (1 cup at a time) until mixed.  Add milk until smooth.  Makes about 3 cups.
*In the picture I added yellow coloring
Source: Preschool friend
 
The Results...
We had this for our cupcake bar at church and it turned out delicious.  I made 3 batches in different colors.  I have to admit it wasn't quite as fluffy as the icing at the preschool graduation.  Adding the right amount of milk to get the right amount of fluffiness takes some practice.

For more variety at the cupcake bar I also made Chocolate Buttercream Icing.  I had never made chocolate buttercream before.  I went to Wilton's website and used their recipe.

Chocolate Buttercream Icing
Ingredients
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup cocoa or three 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares, melted (I used cocoa)
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
3-4 tablespoons milk 
Makes: About 3 cups of icing.
Directions 
In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add cocoa and vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.
Adapted from Wilton

The Results...
This was very chocolatey and delicious.  I don't know why I hadn't tried this before, but I'm glad I finally did.  It's not only delicious, but has the right consistency for decorating your favorite cake, cupcakes or cookies.  My daughter's birthday is coming up and she wants to have a cupcake bar with her friends.  I know what icings I will make! 

Comments