Ham and Cheese Slab Pies

I have never made a slab pie.  Actually, I'd never even heard of slab pies before I found this recipe on Better Homes and Gardens.  Their photo looks delicious and the recipe seems simple enough.  I decided it was worth a try.   

Recipe Link
Ingredients 
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 Tablespoons honey mustard
1  17.3 oz. package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed (2 sheets)
6 ounces thinly sliced ham
1/2 of a medium red onion, thinly sliced
6 ounces thinly sliced cheese (Gruyere, Swiss or Cheddar, we used American)
1 egg
1 Tablespoon water
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a small bowl stir together cream cheese and mustard. On a lightly floured surface roll each sheet of thawed puff pastry into a 15x12-inch rectangle. Transfer each pastry sheet to a prepared baking sheet; spread half of each pastry lengthwise with cream cheese mixture, leaving a 1/2-inch border around outside edges.
2. Add individual layers of ham, onion, and cheese over cream cheese layer, leaving a 1/2-inch border around outside edges. In a small bowl whisk together egg and the water. Brush some of the egg mixture on the uncovered edges of the pastries. Fold uncovered portion of each pastry rectangle up and over filling. Use a fork to seal edges together. Brush tops with egg mixture. Cut decorative slits in top of each pastry for steam to escape.
3. Bake about 25 minutes or until pastries are golden on both the top and bottom. If top browns more quickly than the bottom, cover with foil. Slide pies and parchment paper onto wire racks; cool slightly. To serve, cut crosswise into strips.

Make Ahead Directions
Prepare as directed through Step 2, except do not preheat oven and do not brush tops of pies with egg mixture. Freeze pies on parchment paper-lined baking pans until firm. Wrap pies tightly with plastic wrap; overwrap with foil. Label and freeze for up to 2 months. To serve, thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Brush with egg mixture; bake and cool as directed.

Source Better Homes and Gardens



The Results...
Good, but not great.  I had high hopes for this recipe because it looks kinda like a huge Hot Pocket and my family loves those things.  Everyone said it was OK.  I was surprised that it wasn't a bigger hit.

This recipe was still worth a try.  I like the idea of a slab pie and I would make one of these again, but I would change the filling.  I thought the filling was slightly bland and it would be fun to experiment.  Ham and Cheese Slab Pies were just alright.


I share recipes at these linky parties.

Comments

  1. You are right it does look great. Thank you so much for the honest review of it. My husband and boys love hot pockets and as soon as I saw it, like you, I thought it would be a much better substitute! One thing they don't like is BLAND...........so, I will spice it up first time around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My two littlest ones (5 and 1 1/2 yrs.) actually liked that it was kinda bland. The rest of us thought it just needed a little something more. If you get a chance, let me know how you spice it up and how your family liked this recipe. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I wonder if some garlic powder would help bring all the flavors together?
    Can't wait to try this! Sharing on my facebook wall....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing on your wall. If you try garlic powder, please let me know how it turns out. Have a great weekend. :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the honest comments. I love the idea, but I agree, I would change the filling. But the options are endless! Thanks for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindsay,
      Yes, the options are endless! Savory or sweet, I will definitely be "playing" with this recipe again. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. I tried something very similar to this recipe and had the same so-so response. I wonder if it's the puff pastry that needs some extra flavors! I love how you were so honest with your review! Thank you for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday. Please come back on Sunday to vote!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look up stromboli recipes on Pillsbury for the easiest version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mariel,
    Thank you for the invite! I just went over and shared this recipe. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to sink my teeth into these...they look divine! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look fantastic! My kids will love this one! Thanks so much for linking up to the Weekend Potluck on my page. I cannot wait to see what you bring this week!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the invite. I'm going right over to your Blog Hop. Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment