Moose Juice by Dr. Seuss

My family is very supportive of my goal to try new recipes.  My older kids even keep their eyes out for new recipes for me to try.  My 8 yr. old daughter recently brought home a Dr. Seuss cookbook from her school library, Green Eggs and Ham Cookbook by Georgeanne Brennan.  This recipe is based on Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book...........

A moose is asleep.
He is dreaming of moose drinks.
A goose is asleep.
He is dreaming of goose drinks.
That's well and good when a moose dreams of moose juice.
And nothing goes wrong when a goose dreams of goose juice.
But it isn't too good when a moose and a goose
Start dreaming they're drinking the other one's juice.

In the cookbook, there is also a recipe for Goose Juice that has kiwi and lime sherbet in it, but we decided we'd rather try the Moose Juice.  The combination of orange juice, banana and orange sherbet seemed like it would be delicious!

Recipe Link
Ingredients 
1 1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup orange sherbet
1 banana, sliced
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Whipped cream  or Cool whip
Candy Corn (optional for garnish)
Directions
1. Combine the orange juice, sherbet, banana, and vanilla extract in a blender. Puree until smooth.
2. Pour into a glass and top with the whipped cream or Cool Whip. Add candy corn if desired.
Makes 2 servings

Adapted from  Green Eggs and Ham Cookbook by Gerogeanne Brennan

The Results...
Not bad.  It was easy to make and doesn't it look fun!  It was cool, sweet and orange-y, but it didn't blow us away.  My daughter thought it was good, but could've been better.  I was expecting it to be similar to an Orange Julius, but it wasn't.  It just tasted like really sweet orange juice.  I have a recipe for homemade Orange Julius that my mom use to make when I was a kid and it is much better than this.  Moose Juice was worth a try, but we'll stick to our Orange Julius recipe.

I share recipes at these linky parties.

Comments

  1. LOVE IT!!! Of course, I love that it's Dr. Suess ! Think it's cool that your daughter did the "research" for you on this. Looks very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanya,
      Thank you! My daughter happily does "research" for me, especially anything sweet! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment