Creamy Ham and Cheese Pasta

We had a huge ham for Easter dinner this year.  Of course that meant lots of dinners made with leftover ham.  I would usually freeze some of the leftover ham, but I've had this huge ham in my freezer since Christmas and I really didn't want to put anymore of it back in there.  So, I decided to come up with lots of different ways to use all that leftover ham and hope my family would hang in there until it was gone.

I used ham in omelets, on top of pizza, in sandwiches, in homemade egg "Mcmuffins."  Then, I made a creamy ham gravy that I poured over biscuits for dinner.  My 8 yr. old daughter cried when she sat down for dinner that night.  Cried!  She managed to eat most of her dinner, but I knew I was losing her.  I had enough ham for one more dinner.  That's when I decided to try this recipe for Creamy Ham and Cheese Pasta.  One more ham dinner...........Will my family survive?  Will there be more tears?

Recipe Link
Ingredients 
1 package (16 ounces) pasta 
2 1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
1 1/2 cups baby portabello mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups milk
handful or two of fresh spinach
1 cup shredded mozzarella/provolone cheese
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Directions
Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute ham and mushrooms in butter. Stir in flour and salt until well blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened.

Reduce heat. Stir in spinach and cheese. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Drain pasta; stir ham mixture into pasta. 
Makes 6 servings.

Adapted from Taste of Home



The Results...
3 out of 5 stars.  Not bad.  This was actually one of my better leftover ham dinners.  I adapted the original recipe quite a bit by using fresh mushrooms, fresh spinach, more milk and mozzarella instead of parmesan cheese.  Plus, I added some Italian seasoning.  Everyone thought it was pretty good and I had no complaints or tears at the dinner table.  We survived!


I Share recipes at these linky parties.

Comments

  1. Maria, I loved this post! I can really relate to the leftover drama. We've never had tears though. So funny and tragic. I hate it when I try to improve leftovers and make a different meal with them, but it ends up being MORE leftovers because of the additions. It sounds like you did well. Let's hear it for creativity and perseverance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy! This was the first time that my leftovers actually caused tears. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing at Foodie friends Friday Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment