After one of my attempts at making banana bread about 13 years ago, my husband suggested I try this recipe. He had called his mom and asked her for her banana bread recipe. I made it and it's been our favorite ever since.
Ingredients (printable recipe)
1 cup sugar
1 cup (2 medium) mashed bananas
1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter
1/4 cup milk OR buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease (not oil) bottom only of 9x5 or 8x4 loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, blend first 6 ingredients. Beat 1 minute at medium speed.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients just until dry ingredients are moistened.
4. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
5. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing bread from pan. Remove and cool completely on a wire rack, covered with a clean kitchen towel to keep moist.
Makes one loaf (I usually double this recipe to make two loaves.)
1.If you're a little low on mashed banana, add some applesauce to make up the difference.
2. While baking, if the top begins to get too brown before the bread is done, make a tent with aluminum foil and loosely cover the top of the bread--shiny side away from bread.
3. Since only the bottom is greased, use a spatula or butter knife to loosen the sides of the bread from the pan before turning it out onto the cooling rack.
Source: Mother in Law
|First 6 ingredients. I usually double this recipe and make two loaves instead of one.|
|Stirring in the dry ingredients|
|Add some nuts if you like. I made two loaves and poured half of the batter into a prepared pan and added the nuts to the rest of the batter. That way I had one loaf with nuts and one without.|
|The kiddos ate their banana bread with Nutella and candied pecans on top.|
This banana bread recipe has always turned out delicious. My husband usually wants the end piece. He likes the sweet crust on the outside. Inside it is moist and full of banana flavor. The kids put some Nutella on their slices and sprinkled some candied pecans on top. They are so smart!
More Banana Recipes:
I share recipes at these Link Parties.