Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas

Our family loves Mexican food.  Before we moved to the Northeast, we lived in Texas where delicious Mexican food was easy to find.  The grocery store I shopped at in Texas had a whole aisle just for different kinds of tortilla chips.  That was awesome!  There are a lot of great things about where we live now, but good Mexican food isn't one of them.  We are usually disappointed each time we try a new Mexican restaurant.  Right now, there is only one Mexican restaurant that we like and it is about 40 minutes away.  So, we usually cook it ourselves.  

My son requested fajitas for dinner this week.  I decided to try this slow cooker version of Chicken Fajitas from Eat at Home.  I know a slow cooker recipe for fajitas won't be the same as sizzling fajitas hot off the grill.  But, I'm still hoping this dish will be full of the fajita flavors that we all like and also be super easy to put together on a busy day.

Ingredients
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 med. onions, sliced
1 bell pepper and plus about 20 mini sweet peppers (it's what I already had on hand)*
2 pkgs. Taco Seasoning (use homemade taco seasoning if you prefer)
Flour tortillas
Toppings--sour cream, shredded cheese, salsa, guacamole , etc... 
Directions
1. Spray inside of 5-6 quart slow cooker with cooking oil spray. Slice peppers and onions and place them on the bottom of the slow cooker.
2. Put chicken on top of the onions and peppers.
3. Sprinkle seasonings on top.
4. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours.
5. Take chicken out and slice. If chicken is too tender to slice, just shred it.
6. Serve in a flour tortilla with your favorite toppings.

*Original recipe calls for 3 bell peppers, one of each color (red, yellow and green)

Adapted from Eat at Home

I used what I already had on hand. I mixed up a green bell pepper along with some small sweet peppers.
Onions and peppers on the bottom
Chicken and seasoning on the top. So Easy!

The Results... 
 What surprised me most about this meal was that the kids all really liked it!  I heard 4 and 4 1/2 stars (out of 5) from them.  The chicken turned out very tender and the peppers were super soft (the way the kids like them).  I'm adding this recipe to my family favorites list because it's something my kids will eat again.  

My husband thought it was OK.  We both think fajitas are best when they are sizzling hot off the grill with crisp tender veggies and of course there isn't any other way to get that smoky, grilled flavor.  I still thought this was tasty and it was nice that this was so easy to throw together on a busy day.  Overall, I'm glad I gave this recipe a try and I would make it again.

More Slow Cooker Dinners.....

I share recipes at these link parties.

Comments